So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

3 hours ago, alankin said:

Trevor Dunn's Trio-Convulant – Sister Phantom Owl Fish (Ipecac Records)
— Tevor Dunn (bass), Mary Halvorson (guitar), Ches Smith (drums)

0000299414.jpg

:tup 

Bought this when it came out as i was a huge Mr Bungle (and by extension Trevor Dunn) fan. I never *really* got in to it and ended up trading it. Kind of blows my mind that years later Mary Halvorson and Ches Smith are such giants in my world. And Dunn still, of course, who has gone on to do so much. 

Finally got around to repurchasing this album in the last year or so. Was pleasantly surprised to find that they did a version of Single Petal of a Rose, which i would have been completely oblivious to at the time and is now a favourite.

I had time on my hands recently and have been enjoying Jeremiah Cymerman's podcast. It's apparent that for a lot of people of my generation Mr Bungle and Zorn were a gateway in to jazz/improv/etc. I remember being oddly fascinated by the words 'Produced By John Zorn and Mr Bungle' on the back cover of the self-titled Bungle record (like the weird pseudonyms used by Bungle it had a huge amount of mystique somehow). Never really investigated (lazy plus pre-internet), and then one day having my mind blown to see that he had his own section in the jazz section (which i never ventured in to at the time), and it was stacked! Will never forget that.

It's a common trope that fusion is a gateway: Mahavishnu leads to electric Miles, electric Miles leads to acoustic Miles etc. Similarly, Bungle leads to Zorn, Zorn leads to Naked City which leads to Frisell etc. Zorn also leads to Tim Berne which leads to any number of peeps. Zorn's Ornette tribute also got me in to Ornette after years of not really getting him. Anyways...

NP: Grant Green - Oleo (recent Japanese reissue) 

51Gx-CA%2BxjL.jpg

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images