So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

I grabbed a Wesla Whitfield CD to listen to at random and happened to grab this one from 1990 --

MI0002474126.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

which has a few tunes made more poignant in light of her recent announcement -- "For All We Know", "Something To Remember You By" and particularly "My Buddy" (the last one, I'll admit, made me a little verklempt).

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, Clunky said:

Martial Solal's collaborations with Konitz are always special as indeed as was his working relationship earlier in his career with Lucky Thompson.

Solal's playing and inventiveness is never less than excellent. He's still going strong, the recent duet release with Dave Liebman is very fine. 

I agree 100%, Clunky! :tup 

In this listener's opinion, Solal is one of the all-time greats.

Sonny Simmons – Burning Spirits (Contemporary Records)
— Sonny Simmons - alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, English horn; Barbara Donald - trumpet; Michael White - violin; Lonnie Liston Smith - piano; Richard Davis, Cecil McBee - bass; Clifford Jarvis - drums.

MI0000390480.jpg?partner=allrovi.com  R-5104915-1384622552-7464.jpeg.jpg 

The CD cover is on the left.  This was originally released, with the cover on the right, as a double-LP credited to "Huey" Simmons, which was Sonny's birth name.  

Urbie Green – East Coast Jazz / 6 (Bethlehem Records / Avenue Jazz)
— Urbie Green - Trombone; Al Cohn (listed as Ike Horowitz) - Tenor Sax; Doug Mettome - Trumpet; Danny Bank - Baritone Clarinet, Clarinet, Flute; Jimmy Lyon - Piano; Oscar Pettiford - Bass; Jimmy Campbell or Osie Johnson - Drums; arrangements by Marion Evans; aka The Lyrical Language of Urbie Green.

51ig2LWVwBL._SY355_.jpg

Edited by alankin