• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This morning connected my old Minidisc player and found it works just fine. From my disorganised collection of MD 

Andrew Hill - —-solo recording 2000 broadcast on BBC Jazz on 3

Cecil Taylor /Bill Dixon/ Tony Oxley ——trio recording London 2003/4 ,also broadcast on Jo3

despite its limitations these sound pretty good 

19 minutes ago, Clunky said:

This morning connected my old Minidisc player and found it works just fine. From my disorganised collection of MD 

Andrew Hill - —-solo recording 2000 broadcast on BBC Jazz on 3

If it is the QEH performance - I was there.

First half was a mesmerising performance of solo Hill. Joined by Archie Shepp in duo post-interval. Great show.

Edited by sidewinder

MI0001590631.jpg

An otherwise excellent record almost ruined by Oscar Peterson. Not his playing, which is easily enough ignored, or would be if he hadn't been mixed so goddamned (a word I seldom use in these threads, please note) loud in the mix. How he plays is his doing, but how he's mixed isn't (I hope not, anyway). I see it was recorded at RCA, and I seem to recall that studio being potentially "hard" sounding. But this is not just sound, it's mix.

Ray Brown, Mickey Roker, and the two trumpeters are all in fine form, on the boogaloo in particular, the beat is damn near sampleable. those two weren't faking it! Kinda imagining, say, Cedar Walton on Rhodes takes some of the hurt away from Peterson's non-stop bricking up of all the air in their groove, but geez, that would have hurt too if he had been mixed like this.

But I tell you, maybe it's the cheap earbuds I'm using, but on every track, the trumpets are behind the piano in the mix, that's just wrong no matter who it is.

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

First half was a mesmerising performance of solo Hill. Joined by Archie Shepp in duo post-interval. Great show.

Yes I think it’s that performance. I don’t know if the Hill/Shepp was broadcast. It’s certainly not in my MD collection. 

59 minutes ago, Clunky said:

Yes I think it’s that performance. I don’t know if the Hill/Shepp was broadcast. It’s certainly not in my MD collection. 

I don’t think the duo numbers were broadcast - I remember the Hill solo tracks being broadcast by BBC at the time (and I think Andrew’s site also had them available at one stage).

Edited by sidewinder

MI0000057815.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

MI0002692994.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I bought this CD a couple decades ago.  At the time, some of the singers included on this disc were known to me and others were not.  I must admit one of the things which really persuaded me to buy this disc was the inclusion of the Austin Cromer track.  As noted in the liner notes to this disc, Joel Dorn, in his liner notes to the album Austin Cromer Sings For Her, predicted that the singer would finally be known as more than "the guy who sang 'Over The Rainbow' with Dizzy Gillespie's band".  That's exactly where I knew him from and that was all I knew about him.  I loved his voice and the track he has here is mighty impressive as well.  I have not tracked down a copy of that album yet.  I'd hate to get it and be disappointed since there's not likely a lot more Austin Cromer recordings out there.

I gotta say though, Maxine Sullivan comes in at the very end of this CD and, despite her advanced years and failing health at the time, simply wipes away everything that came before with this gorgeously sensitive performance of a song about lost love with some finely crafted, poignant lyrics by Carolyn Leigh (and music by Jule Styne).  This is still one of my all-time favorite recordings:

46 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I don’t think the duo numbers were broadcast - I remember the Hill solo tracks being broadcast by BBC at the time (and I think Andrew’s site also had them available at one stage).

The broadcast does have interviews with Michael Cuscuna, Ron Horton, Greg Osby etc 

other finds played this afternoon a very fine concert by Don Grolick and currently Buster Williams trio with Geri Allen and Lenny White. Geri more than robust to withstand fairly heavy drumming. I preferred her with Motian. Enjoyable club date from 2003. 

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Me too. Magic evening, the duo with Shepp was better than I'd initially feared - I didn't see them as natural partners somehow. My mistake obviously