Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hubbar_fred_freddiehu_106b.jpg

Pretty darn good, actually. Freddie kept good bands back then, and Hadley Caliman is an extra plus. And fear not popophobes, the program here is very "straight ahead".

A solid A-/B+ date and if you don't have either this or Gleam, get one or both, unless, you know...

51O6BGhK8yL.jpg

A few weeks ago, DeepDiscount.com had a 15% off sale and I tossed this one into my order knowing it was on backorder and there was every chance they might never get it.  Well, it arrived in the mail today and I really dig it.  It's a shame this album did not lead to better days for Austin Cromer.  Joel Dorn's liner notes make comparisons to some of the usual suspects -- Eckstine, Jeffries, Hibbler, Coleman --, but he also mentions one Herb Lance.  Who he?  On this album, Mr. Cromer was accompanied by a cracker jack quartet:  Chick Corea, Richard Davis, Bruno Carr and Hubert Laws (who doubled on guitar here, an instrument I did not know he played).

I had this recording in my car years ago but couldn’t find the cd. When I sold the car, I threw away the case, figuring the cd was lost. Lo and behold, I was reorganizing some cds yesterday and found it! Just played it. First time in years :lol:

09F6FA8B-5F49-4E55-82BF-6F33D224055E.jpeg

10 hours ago, JSngry said:

hubbar_fred_freddiehu_106b.jpg

Pretty darn good, actually. Freddie kept good bands back then, and Hadley Caliman is an extra plus. And fear not popophobes, the program here is very "straight ahead".

A solid A-/B+ date and if you don't have either this or Gleam, get one or both, unless, you know...

Agreed ....