Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MI0000440639.jpg

Found this Wounded Bird issue at a library sale for a very good price. I need a good price for most Ellis things, but have no reservations at all about picking it up when I do. This one is no exception. Ellis was not necessarily "deep", but in no way was he cheap either. Definitely somebody who had a vision and set about making it happen. I think it's a tribute to that vision that his music never really goes away. People keep rediscovering it in pockets here and there.

3 hours ago, duaneiac said:

MI0000709884.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

MI0000709885.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

The Rudi in question being Mr. Blesh and these fun, lively jam sessions were recorded in his apartment.  Great stuff!

I've got the two original 10-inch LPs on Blesh's Circle label. There's also a long Danny Barker solo feature from the January 7 date, called "Danny's Banjo Blues," that was added to the GHB Baby Dodds Trio/Jazz a la Creole LP. It's not on the CD version of that album, and seems to be in limbo now. It should have been included on the CD you spun today, unless it's absolutely full, which I suspect it isn't.

Playing this afternoon: 

Miles Davis Quintet - Duffy's Tavern, Rochester; late February or early March, 1969. The band sometimes referred to as Miles' "Lost Quintet" (because they made no studio recordings) fascinates me. This is the first known recording of the group, and at this point they are much more of a straight-ahead jazz band than they became later - adventurous, but in some ways not as much so as the previous Davis Quintet. There's none of the Bitches Brew material that would shortly be introduced - it's all stuff from Miles' 1950s and 1960s repertoire. "On Green Dolphin Street" could almost be from 1961 or so, except the Chick Corea is playing electric piano and Wayne Shorter soprano sax.

I've had this material for years, but only bothered to correct the speed of the tracks today - everything was about a half-step flat. It's apparently two sets, possibly from different nights. The sound is murky/bootleggy, and the first set is rough listening, because the recordist was apparently sitting pretty close to Jack DeJohnette's drums; sometimes the horns are just lost. The second set is much better balanced, and you can hear everyone, although the sound is still lo-fi.

(A few minutes later): I spoke too soon - I had forgotten that on the version of "No Blues" from the second set, Corea, Holland, and DeJohnette go fully into spacy free-jazz territory for a few minutes.

Edited by jeffcrom