• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For some reason, perhaps a melancholia imported by interminable rains over the Appalachians, I pulled my ZepII Ludwig pressing tonight; no talent for procurement or investment on my part, simply a component of a considerable vinyl collection bequeathed by an uncle I miss terribly. 

Right now

Miles Davis "Blue Haze". Sometimes I like to listen to those old pre-quinted Davis recordings. The strange thing is, that the sessions are not chronologically.

On "Blue Haze" you have "April" which is from the session with Dave Schildkraut, and the remainder tracks from that session where Miles sounds a bit strange with the cup mute are on the second half of "Walkin". And the tracks with Monk and Milt Jackson are splitted among "Bags Groove" and "Miles DAvis and the Modern Jazz Giants".

I have all the records, but when I heard them first, they were (not completely) on 2-LP Prestige sets with some strange covers (Miles in the 70s boxing, not related to the early 50´s music).

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Right now

Miles Davis "Blue Haze". Sometimes I like to listen to those old pre-quinted Davis recordings. The strange thing is, that the sessions are not chronologically.

On "Blue Haze" you have "April" which is from the session with Dave Schildkraut, and the remainder tracks from that session where Miles sounds a bit strange with the cup mute are on the second half of "Walkin". And the tracks with Monk and Milt Jackson are splitted among "Bags Groove" and "Miles DAvis and the Modern Jazz Giants".

I have all the records, but when I heard them first, they were (not completely) on 2-LP Prestige sets with some strange covers (Miles in the 70s boxing, not related to the early 50´s music).

I've often wondered why there has never  been a single cd  release of all the music (plus chatter) from the Monk/Jackson session. 

3 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Cabaret Echoes - New Orleans Jazzers At Work, 1918 -1927 (Off The Record/Archeophone)

R-7572522-1444311947-7994.jpeg.jpg R-7572522-1444311957-8248.jpeg.jpg

Kid Ory's 1922 recordings, Johnny DeDroit & his NO Jazz Orchestra, Fata Marable... plus some other rare/obscure recordings. Historical document.

Yes. Jimmy Durante! Who knew?!

11 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Superb Mary Lou!

I love solo piano sessions. This is part of reissues entitled Chiaroscuro Jazz Classics that I discovered through CD Japan. There are about 15 of them. If anyone is interested, search Cdsol-45446 through cdsol-45460.  

20 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I wasn't familiar with Libre until your post, soulpope. Listening to some cuts now via YT. Thanks for the heads-up!

What a stellar line-up. Sounds great! :tup 

Don`t overlook

R-1439360-1219797242.jpeg.jpg

with Manny Oquendo before forming Libre and

R-2780808-1300729949.jpeg.jpg

from 1983 .... both masterpieces .....

Edited by soulpope