• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

https://www.amazon.com/Lush-Life-Musical-Joe-Castro/dp/B0157S7MTQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1538696755&sr=1-1&keywords=joe+castro

Just getting into it. Second CD of six looks quite intriguing -- Teddy Wilson and bass and drums backing either Stan Getz or Zoot Sims in 1954.

First CD consists of three long (one is more that 35 minutes) rather abstract at times jam session tracks with Castro (a good player), Chico Hamilton (very prominent in guiding things along), Buddy Collette, trumpeter John Anderson and a bassist. Soloists duck in and out of the spotlight, usually after brief stints, but there's a lot of Collette in excellent form on clarinet and flute, not as much John Anderson but what there is of him is choice -- he's kind of a West Coast version of Joe Wilder, very relaxed and with a gorgeous mellow sound. At first I found the some-of-this-then-some-of-that fluidity of the music a bit frustrating, but then I realized/began to think that this fluidity was inspiring to Collette especially and also began to make sense in its own right. I can't think of any music being made in 1954 that sounded quite like this. Boy, was Collette a fine clarinetist.

51DNDysjnLL._SX425_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Lush-Life-Musical-Joe-Castro/dp/B0157S7MTQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1538696755&sr=1-1&keywords=joe+castro

On to CD 2, with Teddy Wilson, bass, drums and either Getz  (7/55) or Zoot Sims (1/56). This is great stuff. Wilson is in remarkable form throughout, and Getz really responds to his thematic-motivic, semi-contrapuntal comping, which is not unlike John Lewis' behind Milt Jackson with the MJQ. Stan initially is akin to his laidback "Long Island Sound" period of a few years before but then he really digs in.

Zoot was in great form in 1956, more long-lined/linear than he would be in later years. His reading of "You Go To My Head" is masterly. Drummer Sol Gubin only has a snare and brushes to work with, and the first of the Teddy-Zoot tracks, "Sunday," doesn't lift off as much it might have, as Gubin sticks with "what-to-do" rudiments, but things loosen up notably later on, and Zoot is irrepressible. Interestingly, Wilson's comping behind Zoot is not particularly thematic-motivic, as it was behind Getz.

Sometimes "best known" albums get lesser spin. But yesterday I was in the mood to listen once again to this classic. Before I got the CD with the original cover, I had a 2 LP set with some much more interesting liner notes, some first hand informations about the date and how Miles had to borrow a horn.

The second side is not so interesting like the first side. The cup mute doesn´t allow very much variations on sound.

Unbenannt.png

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

Outward_Bound_%28album%29.jpg

Tremendous.  ...I'm going to follow your lead and listen to that right now. ;) 

On the way into work:

51uyCB%2BEZlL._SY495_.jpg

Dizzy Gillespie & His Orchestra - A Portrait of Duke Ellington (Verve, 1960)

Fischer's arrangements of Ellington's music are very un-Ellingtonian -- very dense, very buttoned-down.  So I found myself having to think of this music as something different -- something "not-Ellington" -- to not get hung up on it. When I did, I started to enjoy the music more.

Dizzy, of course, sounds great throughout.