• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, soulpope said:

:tup!

I too like this album, which I bought on LP when it came out, but Mulligan reportedly hated it, said that this lineup of NY studio stalwarts didn't play the music properly, as the original Lawrence band had -- that IIRC the phrasing of the NY studio guys was too bouncy and/or abrupt, while he was aiming for a more flowing feel. A possible example of what Mulligan had in mind versus the way these guys played his music would be the big-band tracks he recorded for Columbia in 1957, the sublime "All The Things You Are" in particular.

17 hours ago, soulpope said:

kleins_eric_erichklei_102b.jpg

:tup

I had never heard of this release, but was thankfully able to download FLAC copies of all sessions through BlogSpot this afternoon.

After listening to the Joe Henderson tracks I have to say I wish I owned a copy on CD. Still, as mikeweil said here in 2005, there is something missing in the bottom frequency range. It all sounds a bit harsh. 

Edited by erwbol

1 hour ago, erwbol said:

:tup

I had never heard of this release, but was thankfully able to download FLAC copies of all sessions through BlogSpot this afternoon.

After listening to the Joe Henderson tracks I have to say I wish I owned a copy on CD. Still, as mikeweil said here in 2005, there is something missing in the bottom frequency range. It all sounds a bit harsh. 

Although Austrian Radio had a good reputation recordingswise, some of these 60`s recordings  - probably sacrificed for a livelier sound of the live setting in the studio - are missing some bass range. That said, Vol.2 and especially the session with Slide Hampton features (IMO) a naturally sounding bass work by Jimmy Woode .... but this or the other way, the music on both volumes is priceless ....

Edited by soulpope

The Flying Burrito BrothersThe Gilded Palace of Sin [on Hot Burritos! - The Flying Burrito Brothers Anthology (1969-72)] (A&M Records)
— Gram Parsons: lead and harmony vocals, acoustic guitar, piano, organ; Chris Hillman: electric and acoustic guitar, harmony, lead and backing vocals, mandolin; "Sneaky" Pete Kleinow: pedal steel guitar; Chris Ethridge: bass guitar, backing vocals, piano; and others; plus single track

MI0000014522.jpg?partner=allrovi.com  MI0002198517.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

1 hour ago, alankin said:

The Flying Burrito BrothersThe Gilded Palace of Sin [on Hot Burritos! - The Flying Burrito Brothers Anthology (1969-72)] (A&M Records)
— Gram Parsons: lead and harmony vocals, acoustic guitar, piano, organ; Chris Hillman: electric and acoustic guitar, harmony, lead and backing vocals, mandolin; "Sneaky" Pete Kleinow: pedal steel guitar; Chris Ethridge: bass guitar, backing vocals, piano; and others; plus single track

MI0000014522.jpg?partner=allrovi.com  MI0002198517.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

:tup!

OregonOregon (ECM Records Touchstones Edition)
— Paul McCandless - soprano saxophone, oboe, tin flute, English horn, musette; Glen Moore - bass, violin, piano; Ralph Towner - classical guitar, 12 string guitar, piano, synthesizer; Collin Walcott - sitar, percussion, bass drum, voice

61nXKyzlkfL.jpg

Nicole Mitchell / Black Earth Ensemble – Vision Quest (Dreamtime Records)
— Nicole Mitchell - alto flute, flute, piccolo, flutaphone, vocals; Savoir Faire – violin, viola; Darius Savage – bass; Hamid Drake – percussion; Arveeayl Ra – percussion; Edith Yokley – violin

MI0002067800.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

4 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

I too like this album, which I bought on LP when it came out, but Mulligan reportedly hated it, said that this lineup of NY studio stalwarts didn't play the music properly, as the original Lawrence band had -- that IIRC the phrasing of the NY studio guys was too bouncy and/or abrupt, while he was aiming for a more flowing feel. A possible example of what Mulligan had in mind versus the way these guys played his music would be the big-band tracks he recorded for Columbia in 1957, the sublime "All The Things You Are" in particular.

And how did he feel about this one?

51e1JMcMS8L.jpg