Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, soulpope said:

Challenging and fierce .... outstanding nevertheless ....

Yes, I love this record also, IMHO one of the best.

I like all the stuff on BN from the 60´s that´s a bit more between post bop and avantgarde, for example this one: Though Bobby Hutcherson is the leader of the date, there´s no originals written by him, but a fantastic group with Freddie Hubbard, and I admire Sam Rivers, he always fascinated me. And Andrew Hill, especially his compositon "Catta" and the bonus track "Jasper" , Richard Davis is very strong, and Joe Chambers is a great drummer

index.jpg

18 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Though many here seem to consider this one of Jackie's best recordings. I am a very big fan of Jackie McLean, but this is not one of my favorites.

Unknown.jpeg

The strange cover, untypical for BN always reminded me of the covers on Miles DAvis albums from the early 70´s, like "Live Evil". But I´m not discussing album covers, the music is great, Jack DeJohnette is fantastic , and it´s one of my favourite Jackie McLean albums also, together with "One Step Beyond", "Destination Out", "Let´s Freedom Ring"....... all of them.....

5 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Yes, I love this record also, IMHO one of the best.

I like all the stuff on BN from the 60´s that´s a bit more between post bop and avantgarde, for example this one: Though Bobby Hutcherson is the leader of the date, there´s no originals written by him, but a fantastic group with Freddie Hubbard, and I admire Sam Rivers, he always fascinated me. And Andrew Hill, especially his compositon "Catta" and the bonus track "Jasper" , Richard Davis is very strong, and Joe Chambers is a great drummer

index.jpg

The strange cover, untypical for BN always reminded me of the covers on Miles DAvis albums from the early 70´s, like "Live Evil". But I´m not discussing album covers, the music is great, Jack DeJohnette is fantastic , and it´s one of my favourite Jackie McLean albums also, together with "One Step Beyond", "Destination Out", "Let´s Freedom Ring"....... all of them.....

81aTCwD8WuL._SS500_.jpg

61NkELVtzeL.jpg

This CD reissue contains the title album plus the album So Doggone Good, which I think had an even better album cover:

R-2958227-1313854538.jpeg.jpg

The albums are a mixed lot.  I'm still left wondering WTF about the nearly 14 minute long "Miss Ann, Lisa, Sue And Sadie" (with a string quartet arranged by Billy Ver Planck) in which Sonny Stitt does not even appear for the first 3/4 of the song.  I looked forward to hearing one of my musical heroes interpret the work of another one of my heroes, but this recording or Randy Newman's "Living Without You" goes nowhere.  But I really liked a couple of Stitt originals, especially "Orange Ashtray".  Unlike many other Fantasy 2-on-1 CD reissues I have had, this one does not replicate the liner notes from the original albums (if there were any), but has a new essay (circa 2002 when this disc was reissued) written by Michael Rozek and which includes recollections of Sonny Stitt by Hank Jones, Todd Barkan and Eric Alexander.

3 hours ago, Matthew said:

Last Exit: Headfirst Into The Flames -- Live in Europe

R-412368-1464888521-3207.jpeg.jpg

Love that album.

And this one, which is one of my desert island discs. It has been discussed here recently, but I didn't know that when I chose this one tonight:

bobby-hutcherson-dialogue-20150106161454

Bobby Hutcherson - Dialogue (BN McMaster)