Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51t3h3i9e2L.jpg 

This is one of the strangest recordings in my collection. I think I play it once in a while because my listening has grown too comfortable. It reminds me that the world can be weird, indeed.

From Ross Bolleter's liner notes: "I spent six years, five to six nights a week, playing in the Garden Restaurant and Millstrasse Bar  at the Parmelia Hilton. I had the honor of playing the last piece to be heard in this world by a businessman who died in front of the bandstand - was it More or Cabaret? I'll never forget the look he gave me."

Edited by paul secor

9 hours ago, soulpope said:

0078635142327_600.jpg

I have not listened to Bud Powell for quite a long time  but I remember I have this one on LP with another cover, of Bud much later and much fatter, probably in Paris.

It´s a strange album. If I remember, it was done somewhere in autumn 1956, that must have been before he went on the Birdland ´56 package tour.

His recordings from 54-56 somehow make me feel depressed.

In general, this is better than some of the worst ´54, ´55 stuff, but still disappointing. I remember it is almost only medium tempos, with very heavy chord playing which sounds nice, but on improvisations the lines sound like they are blurred.

The best track might be "There will never be another You" . Bud used this intro and this block chord treatment very much on his later live recordings of that tune, but here the greatest disappointment comes in the moment when he starts soloing. Some years later, especially in Europe he found back to much of his former brilliance and especially on encounters with other Americans he could be great (Hawk in Germany, Blakey in Paris).

21 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I have not listened to Bud Powell for quite a long time  but I remember I have this one on LP with another cover, of Bud much later and much fatter, probably in Paris.

It´s a strange album. If I remember, it was done somewhere in autumn 1956, that must have been before he went on the Birdland ´56 package tour.

His recordings from 54-56 somehow make me feel depressed.

In general, this is better than some of the worst ´54, ´55 stuff, but still disappointing. I remember it is almost only medium tempos, with very heavy chord playing which sounds nice, but on improvisations the lines sound like they are blurred.

The best track might be "There will never be another You" . Bud used this intro and this block chord treatment very much on his later live recordings of that tune, but here the greatest disappointment comes in the moment when he starts soloing. Some years later, especially in Europe he found back to much of his former brilliance and especially on encounters with other Americans he could be great (Hawk in Germany, Blakey in Paris).

Do have a soft spot for the late(r) Bud Powell and his performances veering between light and darkness ....

26 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Do have a soft spot for the late(r) Bud Powell and his performances veering between light and darkness ....

I can understand this, I also like much of his later stuff, but in my case I like it more if I hear a bit more interaction with the drummer, like let´s say "Time Waits" from 1958  with Philly Joe Jones, like the european performances with Kenny Clarke. On "Strictly" it seems like if it´s overdubbed over a rhythm machine, very little movement in the group....... it´s not that I "need" Bud in technical top form, but I need to hear things happening in between the musicians, and this doesn´t happen on that album.......

71J-CF6H-wL._SL500_.jpg

John Coltrane - Meditations (Impulse)

Last night I finished reading John Nisenson's Ascension: John Coltrane & His Quest. The book ends on a sour note with Nisenson expounding on all the reasons why jazz after Coltrane isn't worthwhile. :( Those sorts of broad, generalized cultural proclamations were the least helpful aspect of the book. That gripe aside, most of the book focused on the specifics of Coltrane's music and thinking. I'd provisionally recommend the book to Coltrane-philes for that reason. 

A final THANK YOU! to felser for graciously sending me the book.  

1 minute ago, duaneiac said:

Hendricks & Ross with Buddy Rich, 1969

The rest of the concert has some good performances by the band, but way too much "joking" and insulting of his own musicians by the a-hole drummer

If that’s the video I think it is, there is some banter with fellow drummer Eric Delaney in the audience.

Rich and the Orchestra had great popularity in the UK around that time and croppec up on TV a fair bit.