• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The wonders of the human voice.

619cmPOPU4L._SX355_.jpg

Harry Belafonte had such an amazing voice, but he was also a fine lyric interpreter.  Perhaps that is because his first goal was to be an actor.  He really gave his all to a song, whether it be a hearty folk song or a loving ballad.  He does a version of "Unchained Melody" here accompanied only by guitar that is simply stunning in its warmth and simplicity.  Kudos to Mr. Belafonte for singing "songs she brought to me" in Neil Diamond's "Play Me".  (I'm sorry Mr. Diamond, but there will have to be a 5 point penalty levied against that song for illegal use of the word "brang".)

71E4CXEAdEL._SY355_.jpg

Disc 1 of 2.  I can't even begin to imagine how special it must have been to have heard Billie Holiday performing in some small club.  The Red Norvo All-Stars get a good deal of instrumental space on this disc, but Ms. Holiday has several wonderful moments of her own.

GUEST_63824d52-4b90-4334-bb0d-7d813b22da

Here's a funny tidbit for you youngsters out there:  There was a time -- long, long ago -- when if a Rod Stewart song came on the radio, you would actually turn the volume up!  I know, go figure, right?

Edited by duaneiac