So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

40 minutes ago, paul secor said:

Don't have that one and have never heard it. What's your take, Jim? Soulpope likes it, so that's a plus.

If you don't have the first Teddy Charles Tentet album, you'll probably want this compilation of both:

https://www.freshsoundrecords.com/teddy-charles-albums/4648-the-complete-tentet-vibrations-digipack-edition-.html

Not all solid gold but all interesting at the least, and George Russell's "Lydian M-1" from the first Tentet album is excellent and unique -- right up there with "All About Rosie."

• Replies 79.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, paul secor said:

Don't have that one and have never heard it. What's your take, Jim? Soulpope likes it, so that's a plus.

Soulpope and I both like it. It's a mix of large ensemble and small group. The larger group things are slightly "Third Stream"-y in a not sludge-y manner, and the small group stuff is plenty sweet, and oh yeah, Mingus on bass. Also, you get Hal Stein soloing in the larger band, which is a rare treat.

20 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

If you don't have the first Teddy Charles Tentet album, you'll probably want this compilation of both:

https://www.freshsoundrecords.com/teddy-charles-albums/4648-the-complete-tentet-vibrations-digipack-edition-.html

Not all solid gold but all interesting at the least, and George Russell's "Lydian M-1" from the first Tentet album is excellent and unique -- right up there with "All About Rosie."

Agreed, both of those Teddy Charles Atlantic titles are superb, as are some of the other albums he did in that era.

21 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

I'd advise pursuing separate versions. The Anhokoran issue is Tentet only, and the small group stuff not included/left off is very good.

81ZQBwjS79L._SY355_.jpg

Disc 1 of 15.  All was going along pretty nicely through the first four 15 minute radio shows on this disc.  Ol' Hank sounds well lubricated at this session and he delivers the goods on tunes like "Nobody's Lonesome For Me" and "How Can You Refuse Him Now".  And Hank Williams singing "The Blind Child's Prayer"?!?!  I mean, c'mon -- heartstrings:  prepare to be tugged!  Then the fifth program begins with Hank singing the classic "A Mansion On The Hill".  Oh my gosh!  Could it possibly get any better than that???  Well -------------------- no.  Then, you see, Miss Audrey appears.  Miss Audrey, to be kind, made Yoko Ono sound like Dame Kiri te Kanawa.  Then I looked into the booklet included with this Time/Life set and find out we're going to be hearing a lot from Miss Audrey over the next 14 discs.  Oh yes we are.  Thanks a heap, Hank.  Oh yeah, and Junior too.  Thanks a heap for that one.

R-6951322-1430249005-3216.jpeg.jpg

This is a kind of "thing" that if you don't do it really well, it just sounds stupid. Holman being one of the people ho invented this "thing", he most assuredly does not sound stupid. Other people, though...hey, don't ask me to not enjoy bill Holman because of what they do. That's just not right.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Soulpope and I both like it. It's a mix of large ensemble and small group. The larger group things are slightly "Third Stream"-y in a not sludge-y manner, and the small group stuff is plenty sweet, and oh yeah, Mingus on bass. Also, you get Hal Stein soloing in the larger band, which is a rare treat.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I'd advise pursuing separate versions. The Anhokoran issue is Tentet only, and the small group stuff not included/left off is very good.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, paul secor said:

I like it too.

If you are a Teddy Charles fan then it's well worth seeking out.

I also recommend this one, that I've not seen posted here.

Image result for teddy charles on campus ivy league jazz concert bethlehem Image result for teddy charles on campus ivy league jazz concert bethlehem

I have the Japanese Bethlehem version but it seems to be available from Fresh Sounds too.

Image result for john coltrane and johnny hartman k2 Related image