Unreleased Art Blakey BN session 8 March 1959

JohnS

interesting to re-read cuscuna's comments on this session. while the session surely has it's faults (blakey sounds cranky, mobley strung-out, merritt struggles a lot), it's not as bad as it's made out to be. especially since cuscuna had no problems releasing two sub-par GG sessions (standards, first session).

1 hour ago, Mark Stryker said:

Where in the hell is this guy -- "Joe Louis" -- getting these tapes?

All of these sessions slipped out of the vault in the past 10-15 years and have circulated a bit (for better or for worse not to the hands of the Andorrans). I am guessing that before long the KD Blue Lament session will show up on youtube and so will the Ike Quebec with Roach and Green.  

As far as the Blakey goes I made a CD of the tracks that weren't marked rejected or broke down. Personally my feeling was that Hank's chirpy reed ruined the date more than anything else.

• 2 weeks later...

On 3/15/2017 at 0:35 PM, Dan Gould said:

As far as the Blakey goes I made a CD of the tracks that weren't marked rejected or broke down. Personally my feeling was that Hank's chirpy reed ruined the date more than anything else.

Good idea.  I've made a cdr of the "master takes".  Probably the best way to listen to this music.  Sounds like a pretty normal Blakey set.

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

Good idea.  I've made a cdr of the "master takes".  Probably the best way to listen to this music.  Sounds like a pretty normal Blakey set.

Yeah!

And I thought Lee sounds pretty good, on some of the breakdowns he keeps playing and it sounds like he's saying, "WTF guys, c'mon!"