Chasing the Trane documentary release date

ElginThompson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I watched it on Netflix over the weekend, and overall I really liked it. Could have done without Santana,  but at least we didn't have to suffer through Stanley Crouch! There were several moments that really touched me emotionally, and I was impressed with all the home movies and concert footage, some of which I hadn't seen. 

On ‎03‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:30 PM, CJ Shearn said:

As much as I dig Santana albums like "Lotus", he doesn't bring much of value when talking about jazz much.  I saw it back on Netflix and enjoyed it.

I agree that Santana’s statements could have been left out of the documentary, but, on the other hand, Santana has for more than a decade told people about John Coltrane.  Today there probably are some people who have listened to Coltrane at least once simply because they heard Santana mention Coltrane.  Every few years there seems to be less people who listen to jazz, and anyone who can motivate people to listen to jazz (and Coltrane) is ok with me.

1 hour ago, gvopedz said:

I agree that Santana’s statements could have been left out of the documentary, but, on the other hand, Santana has for more than a decade told people about John Coltrane.  Today there probably are some people who have listened to Coltrane at least once simply because they heard Santana mention Coltrane.  Every few years there seems to be less people who listen to jazz, and anyone who can motivate people to listen to jazz (and Coltrane) is ok with me.

Yes, definitely,I see your point and that's true Santana has always talked about Trane. It's a good thing to get new listeners into the music, always a plus.  I always wondered with an album like "Supernatural"(which I never really dug and that last track, with it's rubato kind of opening sort of reminiscent of Trane if some people who heard that became curious and they went back and checked him out.

I just finished watching it and thought it was fantastic.  I thought all the contributors were great — you could see he affected their lives in some way — but particularly enjoyed John Densmore and Cornel West (especially the part where he confessed he didn’t understand everything Trane was doing; I can relate to that). I plan to watch it again.