James Cotton, R.I.P.

mjzee

In Feb.1969, two sets by the James Cotton Blues Band provided me with my first night-out gig.  I was 15 and my parents had dropped me off at the Univ. of Rhode Island.  Cotton was performing as the opener of a Verve Forecast show with Richie Havens as headliner.  As Havens was 90-minutes late, it gave every member of Cotton's band -- including the roadie -- an opportunity to stretch.  Cotton was a great leader and kept me riveted.

I can remember seeing James Cotton at the First Floor Club here in Toronto when he was still a sideman with Muddy Waters. It was a great performance with Muddy and all the members of his band - including Otis Spann and Little Willie Smith - in great form. This was back when musicians, even those in blues bands, wore tuxedos when performing. It was interesting to watch Cotton who often ended up on his back on the stage floor, wildly kicking his feet in the air while lustily blowing his harmonica. As Dan Morgenstern once said about an Illinois Jacquet JATP performance, "Yes, but it was visceral." (I shudder to think of Cotton's dry cleaning bill. At the end of the evening the back of his tuxedo was white with several inches of dust and dirt from the stage floor.)

Edited by Don Brown