Franco Ambrosetti

Larry Kart

Today stumbled across something that turned out to be darn good — Ambrosetti’s “Gin and Pentatonic” (Enja) which  combines two Enja albums, one from from 1983, “Wings,” and one from 1985, “Tentets,” with some tracks  left off because the compilation as it stands is more than 71 minutes. Personnel on “Wings" is Mike Brecker, John Clark, Kenny Kirkland, Buster Williams, and Daniel Humair; on “Tentets” it’s Lew Soloff, Mike Mossman, Steve Coleman, Alex Brofsky (Fr. h.), Howard Johnson (his usual double), Tommy Flanagan,  Dave Holland, and Humair. 

I’ve heard Ambrosetti before, don’t recall exactly where, find him to be a very good, heady, agile, feisty player who more than holds his own in this company. Second, both these rhythm sections are on fire; best Kirkland solo work I’ve ever heard, sounds like an updated Wynton Kelly; Brecker is pretty much on fire, too; Coleman has only one solo spot where he surprisingly sounds like an updated Johnny Hodges; Buster, who for me often can be way over the top, is on his best behavior and strong as a bull, Holland is at his best, too, and Humair is inspired. Originals from Ambrosetti, his father Flavio, and G. Gruntz, plus Shorter’s “Yes and No” and a way-up electrifying “Autumn Leaves.” As  Indiana native John Litweiler once said, I haven’t had so much fun since the pigs ate my little brother.

Track 1 below is with the Flanagan-Holland rhythm section, track 2 is with Kirkland and Buster Williams.

41 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

As  Indiana native John Litweiler once said, I haven’t had so much fun since the pigs ate my little brother.

As somebody whose little brother actually was eaten by pigs, I think you should display more sensitivity to pigs eating people and the lives that are impacted by it.