What jazz recording(s) everyone should listen to before they die?

Hardbopjazz

It may be the the wine I just drank this afternoon, but I started thinking while listening to Oliver Nelson's "Blues and the Abstract Truth" that this is a recording that should be a requirement for high school students to listen to in order to graduate. It is just such a great album from start to finish. If you haven't listened to this, you are lacking something. I bet there are individual favorites for others here. Which one(s) do you feel are mind altering, life changing, and important to others that everyone needs to listen to at least once in their lifetime?  

Edited by Hardbopjazz

isn't there a book called this?

Anyway, the choices sure could fill a volume, and everyone's volume would be a little different.

I'll just offer one track for now:  "The Man I Love" by Miles Davis, mostly for Miles' extremely affecting work, but also for the fascinating stuff contributed by Monk and Milt Jackson.

I really have never shared the enthusiasm so many do for "Blues and the Abstract Truth". . . I think it's alright but not the cat's meow.

I first thought to add this album. . . I love it, it has so much of what I love of Ellington's work within it and it has beautiful sound.

Duke_Ellington_Indigos_LP.jpg

And I would include this Coltrane album on a list of jazz albums to experience. From first note to last it shows why this quartet was so influential, and it is music that has kept revealing subtleties to me over the decade.

John-Coltrane-Crescent.jpg

And any such review would need an Armstrong album. There are many possibilities. . . I love this one, a working band cutting a record while on tour, camaraderie and joy and artistry captured on tape:

0886974920120.jpg

Everyone? In the world? Literally? Like, I'm some ancient farmer in deepest rural China or someplace about to take my last breath, I've never been past my land in my body or my mind, ever, and my life will all be for naught if I don't hear this record in the next five minutes?

I don't know dude, that's a hell of a responsibility, to pick THAT record.