paul secor

Buck Hill RIP

17 posts in this topic

Wasn't he a mailman?

Buck Hill played and recorded with Rein de Graaff in the Netherlands.

R.I.P.

There are some good Muse recordings by Hill, too.  And he played very nicely on a recording with Shirley Horn, Close Enough For Love...

Shirleyclose.jpg

R.I.P.

He was a fine musician and man. His wife was always concerned that carrying that mail bag every day was damaging his health. She was always begging him to stop and on a couple of occasions asked me to help convince him. He had a long and productive life.

I greatly enjoyed Buck Hill's recordings on Steeplechase and Muse.

R.I.P.

Sorry to hear this sad news. 

R.I.P. 

I think he was one of the many more obscure musicians I found out early on thanks to JE Berendt ... fine player, I have at least half a dozen of his Steeplechase, Muse and more recent albums and have enjoyed each and every one I've heard, including his appearances with Shirley Horn.

RIP

A great loss!

He was always providing interesting music!

Posted (edited)

Very good tenor player.  I believe he didn't make his first LP as a leader ("This Is Buck Hill" on SteepleChase Records) until he was over 50 in 1978.  R.I.P.

Edited by alankin

4 hours ago, alankin said:

Very good tenor player.  I believe he didn't make his first LP as a leader ("This Is Buck Hill" on SteepleChase Records) until he was over 50 in 1978.  R.I.P.

It's possible......  Like Scott Yanow said: "Buck Hill received some fame in the 1970s for being a mailman who also plays tenor. He actually began playing professionally in 1943, but always had a day job in Washington, D.C. He recorded with Charlie Byrd (1958-1959), but had to wait until the late '70s before getting his own dates. He went on to lead sessions for SteepleChase and Muse, displaying a large tone and a swinging style".

It's a shame that he wasn't documented extensively throughout his career, because I would have loved to have heard how he developed into his mature style.  At any rate, at least he had several opportunities to record later in his career, because his music was worthy of wider exposure beyond only those who heard him in the DC area.  I wrote him several years ago inquiring about a couple of Leo Parker sidemen (and whether he could point me toward any of his own students, if he had any) but I never heard back; he must've had a wealth of tales from his long career.  I'll be listening to some of his fine leader dates and checking out more in the future.  Thank you for the music, Mr. Hill, and rest in peace.