Buck Hill RIP

paul secor

I think he was one of the many more obscure musicians I found out early on thanks to JE Berendt ... fine player, I have at least half a dozen of his Steeplechase, Muse and more recent albums and have enjoyed each and every one I've heard, including his appearances with Shirley Horn.

4 hours ago, alankin said:

Very good tenor player.  I believe he didn't make his first LP as a leader ("This Is Buck Hill" on SteepleChase Records) until he was over 50 in 1978.  R.I.P.

It's possible......  Like Scott Yanow said: "Buck Hill received some fame in the 1970s for being a mailman who also plays tenor. He actually began playing professionally in 1943, but always had a day job in Washington, D.C. He recorded with Charlie Byrd (1958-1959), but had to wait until the late '70s before getting his own dates. He went on to lead sessions for SteepleChase and Muse, displaying a large tone and a swinging style".

It's a shame that he wasn't documented extensively throughout his career, because I would have loved to have heard how he developed into his mature style.  At any rate, at least he had several opportunities to record later in his career, because his music was worthy of wider exposure beyond only those who heard him in the DC area.  I wrote him several years ago inquiring about a couple of Leo Parker sidemen (and whether he could point me toward any of his own students, if he had any) but I never heard back; he must've had a wealth of tales from his long career.  I'll be listening to some of his fine leader dates and checking out more in the future.  Thank you for the music, Mr. Hill, and rest in peace.

• 1 month later...

Think this album (see below), issued in 2006, may be his final recording. It is excellent, food for the soul, with Hill's sound captured beautifully. Interesting choice of material, in addition to Hill's own pieces (his "Sad Ones" is lovely) -- three  associated with Miles: "Flamenco Sketches," "Pfrancing," and "Milestones" (not the later modal piece but the one Miles recorded with Bird on tenor in 1947). 

P.S. "Milestones," according to many, is by John Lewis, not Miles. And, of course, "Pfrancing" actually is that old tune "Put Your Little Foot Right Out" (check out the version on YouTube by Russ Morgan). And "Flamenco Sketches"  is, at the least, part Miles and part Bill Evans'.

51hXOWXMl8L._AC_US218_.jpg

• 2 years later...

Fantastic new (and huge!) Buck Hill mural just went up in my neighborhood here in DC (OK, the adjacent neighborhood just south of me).

Nice story from the local NPR affiliate:

https://wamu.org/story/19/08/27/d-c-s-newest-and-tallest-mural-honors-a-local-jazz-legend-who-was-also-a-mailman/

lede-1.jpg

For comparison, check out this image of Hill in uniform from back in the day (a pic that accompanied an obit of Hill)...

https://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/arts/music/blog/20855826/buck-hill-obituary

BUCK_HILL.58d298246ad2a.jpg

The finished product is frickin' huge!!

https://www.capitalbop.com/buck-hill-dc-mural/

Final-Celebration.jpeg

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 1 year later...