New Thelonious Monk album

ghost of miles

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sound is stereo, and well-balanced. To be honest I think this is the best recording I've ever heard from the Nola space. 

There is some discussion of the film and a few photos. There is an overview of Monk's visits to France in the 'fifties. There are more pages of photos (full pages too) than text, but it's a very nice booklet.

1 hour ago, Clunky said:

Gearbox,

Thnx for your feedback ....

Edit : Found this info :

http://blog.superflyrecords.com/storyboard/darrel-sheinman-gearbox-from-british-jazz-rooted-soul-to-new-poetry/

What are your other next releases?
Our major release for the first quarter is a double album from Binker and Moses entitled “Journey to the Mountain of Forever”. The first disc features the duo, the second disc features friends Evan Parker, Byron Wallen, Tori Handsley, Sarathy Korwar and Yussef Dayes. The sessions took place over two days resulting in 10 reels of tape filled with over five hours of music. It’s a major step forward from “Dem Ones” and a labour of love for Gearbox. We will have a previously unreleased Sun Ra solo piano 7” for Record Store Day, another 7” single from Cooper-Moore and Mad King Edmund, a live album recently recorded at Ronnie Scott’s from Nitin Sawhney and a fabulous unreleased Thelonious Monk concert from 1963.

Edited by soulpope

10 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Sound is stereo, and well-balanced. To be honest I think this is the best recording I've ever heard from the Nola space. 

There is some discussion of the film and a few photos. There is an overview of Monk's visits to France in the 'fifties. There are more pages of photos (full pages too) than text, but it's a very nice booklet.

Thanks.  I'm waiting for the CD.  I'm used to 1990s LP prices.  

Cool. No telling how much of the text and photos will make it to the cd edition. 

I don't generally buy new vinyl either, but this was a special occasion for me, and when I saw the opportunity to get it for the original uninflected price with no shipping I took it. Glad to have it.

• 3 weeks later...