Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ghost of miles

New Thelonious Monk album

63 posts in this topic

My copy (brand new!) comes from the secondhand section of my record store. It often sells discarded  copies that were used for records reviews.

The store does not carry the regular CDs yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, brownie said:

My copy (brand new!) comes from the secondhand section of my record store. It often sells discarded  copies that were used for records reviews.

The store does not carry the regular CDs yet.

We used to have a store in Portland that got a lot of those, but the used cd stores I go to seldom if ever have them. I guess I really need to move to Paris! :D

 

gregmo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is always odd to me is when I no longer receive service from a particular jazz label, then I find a current promo copy of one of their CDs in a local used bookstore. There aren't any jazz stations here and as far as I know, no one else who regularly writes about jazz in the area.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Well, we DO have a jazz station (KMHD), so I'm somewhat surprised to see no promos in the bins. Maybe I just need to go more often! By the way, news from Amazon that my cd copy of this album has shipped. Looking forward to hearing it!

 

 

gregmo

Edited by gmonahan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought the CD version.  I especially love the versions of "Panonica" on this session for some reason. 

Given some of the track repetition, I am not sure that they needed to spread out the material to two CDs totaling 83 minutes, but whatevs.

The sound is excellent, though I wish the bass were centered. 

Don't like the packaging.  I would have preferred artwork based on the film. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was very surprised to find this on Hoopla (and perhaps on Spotify -- I didn't check), as I didn't think Sam was a label that participated in streaming.  Anyway, listening to it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not very enthusiastic, all things considered ... it's a fine release, musically though, no doubt.

Points to quibble with:

- would have been nice to have the full sessions (they even created masters edited from two takes in one ore two cases - not including the original takes then)

- basically this is a listening edition, not a critical one - but the session is sketchy and the 83 minutes contain quite a few bits anyway, so why not give us the full package?

- there are  few quite long (3-4 minutes) breakdown takes omitted that I would have loved to hear

- the one included rehearsal is really just about Art Taylor giving his utmost to *not* get the beat that Monk wants him to play ... not all that intriguing

- there is not much with Barney Wilen, alas ... one track (no master, nothing included) was rehearsed with him (and Monk and Sam Jones), would have loved to hear it, even if it went nowhere

- the discography at the end is somewhat difficult to read (and difficult to relate to the tracklisting

 

But yeah, it's good, I will listen again, and some day I might sit down and read the extensive liner notes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On July 17, 2017 at 7:14 AM, king ubu said:

would have been nice to have the full sessions (they even created masters edited from two takes in one ore two cases - not including the original takes then)

- basically this is a listening edition, not a critical one - but the session is sketchy and the 83 minutes contain quite a few bits anyway, so why not give us the full package?

In my opinion, they should have made a "listening edition" that fit on one disc, under 80 minutes, and a deluxe set that had all the breakdowns and studio chatter.  Creating an incomplete two-disc, 83-minute version doesn't really accomplish either.  Still, the price was right, so it's a minor point.  The cover art bothers me the most. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

In my opinion, they should have made a "listening edition" that fit on one disc, under 80 minutes, and a deluxe set that had all the breakdowns and studio chatter.  Creating an incomplete two-disc, 83-minute version doesn't really accomplish either.  Still, the price was right, so it's a minor point.  The cover art bothers me the most. 

Yup. At least on CD offer the whole shebang. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi folks,

I don’t know what you think, but I'm still hungry. It is said that almost 3 hours have been recorded and we are given only 83 minutes. What will become of the remaining material? Will we have to wait another 58 years?

Meanwhile, most of us will have joined my late friend Marcel Romano (at the origin of the project) in the clouds.

Let him be thanked here for the music he has left us, but that some responsible (if we can call them that) deliver us in the dropper.

By what right?

Certainly, the law of the market.

I hate these music amateurs, more merchants than music lovers…:alien:

 

For all "amateurs" of complete stuff, I made a list of all material described in the booklet. Lined in yellow, the issued titles which last 83 minutes...

No comment!

LES LIAISONS DANGEREUSES (détails).xlsx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Claude Schlouch said:

Hi folks,

I don’t know what you think, but I'm still hungry. It is said that almost 3 hours have been recorded and we are given only 83 minutes. What will become of the remaining material? Will we have to wait another 58 years?

Meanwhile, most of us will have joined my late friend Marcel Romano (at the origin of the project) in the clouds.

Let him be thanked here for the music he has left us, but that some responsible (if we can call them that) deliver us in the dropper.

By what right?

Certainly, the law of the market.

I hate these music amateurs, more merchants than music lovers…:alien:

 

For all "amateurs" of complete stuff, I made a list of all material described in the booklet. Lined in yellow, the issued titles which last 83 minutes...

No comment!

LES LIAISONS DANGEREUSES (détails).xlsx

Thanks for your work Claude but if this is what is left, I'm stuffed, not hungry.

Don't need any breakdowns, thanks. I see six or seven complete takes most are under 90 seconds? and one is almost 7 minutes?

I'll take the seven minute track and I'd agree no reason not to put it on here.  

< 90 second tracks just reminds me this was conceived as a soundtrack, sounds like Monk with a muzzle on him to me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

Thanks for your work Claude but if this is what is left, I'm stuffed, not hungry.

Don't need any breakdowns, thanks. I see six or seven complete takes most are under 90 seconds? and one is almost 7 minutes?

I'll take the seven minute track and I'd agree no reason not to put it on here.  

< 90 second tracks just reminds me this was conceived as a soundtrack, sounds like Monk with a muzzle on him to me.

 

I agree with Dan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

Thanks for your work Claude but if this is what is left, I'm stuffed, not hungry.

Don't need any breakdowns, thanks. I see six or seven complete takes most are under 90 seconds? and one is almost 7 minutes?

I'll take the seven minute track and I'd agree no reason not to put it on here.  

< 90 second tracks just reminds me this was conceived as a soundtrack, sounds like Monk with a muzzle on him to me.

 

I'm a "completist", so the least note is important to me, especially when it comes from Barney Wilen who was my friend.

Edited by Claude Schlouch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.