Jimmy Tyler, 1951

Mark Stryker

OK, anybody have these sides or heard them? I believe these are Thad Jones' first recordings. "Take it Away" is on youtube, but, alas, there is no trumpet solo. I'm dying to know if Thad solos on the other cuts. Help a brother out?
-----

Los Angeles, December 28, 1951
F224 Tip lightly Federal 12067
F225 You'll never know        -
F226 Take it away         12080
F227 Little Jim

Good news: Found "Tip Lightly/You'll Never Know" on Ebay  for $10. Will have by Monday and report back for anybody that actually cares. That means of the four sides, only "Little Jim" is eluding me at the moment -- which is probably on the jazzier side of the street since it was apparently co-written by Little Benny Harris, who had in Tyler's band. But I digress ...

Onward.

Edited by Mark Stryker

3 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

Good news: Found "Tip Lightly/You'll Never Know" on Ebay  for $10. Will have by Monday and report back for anybody that actually cares.

Yes, please do report back. I do care for R&B obscurities like this. ;)

I only have "Take It Away"myself (on a compilation R&B CD reissue), and a couple of Jimmy Tyler's somewhat later releases on Federal have been reissued on two CDs focusing on Federal R&B but I have found no reissue sources (yet) of the other three tracks you asked about.

• 5 months later...
On 3/22/2017 at 11:07 AM, Big Beat Steve said:

I only have "Take It Away"myself (on a compilation R&B CD reissue), and a couple of Jimmy Tyler's somewhat later releases on Federal have been reissued on two CDs focusing on Federal R&B but I have found no reissue sources (yet) of the other three tracks you asked about.

On 3/22/2017 at 11:07 AM, Big Beat Steve said:

Dropped the ball on this -- sorry. The sides I got from EBay are nice -- nothing earth-shattering, but in the Tyler mold of jazzy R&B, heavier on the jazz here, with a little more instrumental prowess than many of the bands in this genre. "You'll Never Know" is a ballad -- all Tyler alto; Tip Lightly is a 32-bar groove number, on the moderate side of medium tempo. There's a sbrief little call-and-response from a muted wah-waht trumpet in the melody. Might be Thad, might be the other trumpeter. But it's not improvised, it's written and whoever it is plays the same pattern every time through. 

I'm beginning to think the "Jimmy Harris" on trumpet listed in Lord's discography might actually be Little Benny Harris.

Big Beat Steve: What the name and label of the CD reissue that you have where "Take it Away" appears?

Still looking for "Little Jim" ...

4 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

Big Beat Steve: What the name and label of the CD reissue that you have where "Take it Away" appears?

It's on "R'n'B Wig Poppers" (subtitled "27 Jump Blues & Sax Honkers from the Rockin Fifties" on Lucky CD-1001 - one of those "grey label" reissues produced by collectors for collectors. Not being sure but I think this particular CD was produced on the US (for a while this and a whole slew of similar collectors' reissues were sold on eBay.com by Big Nickel Publications).

1 hour ago, Big Beat Steve said:

It's on "R'n'B Wig Poppers" (subtitled "27 Jump Blues & Sax Honkers from the Rockin Fifties" on Lucky CD-1001 - one of those "grey label" reissues produced by collectors for collectors. Not being sure but I think this particular CD was produced on the US (for a while this and a whole slew of similar collectors' reissues were sold on eBay.com by Big Nickel Publications).

Is a "bootleg reissue" an accurate characterization? 

I would not have wanted to be that drastic in my words but I guess it is. ;) At least by U.S. Copyright standards. By European copyright laws (which are not retroactively applicable, despite the changes introduced a couple of years ago following the lobbying of Messrs. McCartney, Richard etc.) they are legal because the original releases date back way before 1962 so these releases are in the public domain anyway. But like I said, I have a hunch they originated from the US. At least this is where I have seen the most plentiful listings of such CD reissues. They were (and are, in some cases?) also listed on UK sellers' sites, though.

Edited by Big Beat Steve