what happens to the NEA now and Lincoln Center and stuff

I retired from working in public radio for over a quarter century in 2014. While I was working, this topic would occasionally come up about federal funding. I informed people that CPB matching grants for public broadcasting were intended to be seed money and never permanent. If the organization has value and good leadership, they will find ways to make up the difference through increased fundraising and budget cuts. At least the matching funds were based on the fundraising success of the organization.

The NEA hasn't helped itself with some of the questionable grants it has made over the years. Artists trying to make a political statement shouldn't receive taxpayer funding. They can test the market and see if there is any demand for their work. The NEA Jazz Masters program has funded deserving veteran artists, which is why it has avoided controversy.

The local symphony president just sent out a mass email encouraging patrons to write their congressional representative to encourage him or her to fight to keep NEA grants. Of course, every time they perform an opera, it costs around $80,000 just for rental of backdrops and props. That's a lot of money for a genre that is on life support. 

I think there may be some cuts, but I doubt that Congress will do away with the NEA and CPB at this time.

1 hour ago, Ken Dryden said:

I printed a photo of Serrano and put it in a cat box and let one of them crap on it, then took a photo. I wonder if I would be eligible for an NEA grant...three guesses for the title.

It's all about who you know... Serrano got a $5,000 NEA grant to collect his pee. That buys a lot of kitty litter, Ken.