Oscar Dennard archive material ....

soulpope

Just saw this new release when I clicked on the Amazon link for the new Uptown release. A name I am unfamiliar with but I am definitely very curious about this release.  I've been exploring the Sulieman Steeplechase recordings and enjoying them.

I have "Over the Rainbow" from the Jazztone (included on Oscar Pettiford's "First Bass" CD) and it has some of the best Lucky I have heard, with excellent Dennard. I'll certainly track the rest of this down. The Tangier CD is very good. Dennard was a fine, fine pianist.  Q

Looking forward a lot to this!

The band photo on jazzwax is from the legendary Zurich club "Africana" (the place where Dollar Brand got his start in exile and was assumedly heard by Ellington who then made a record with Brand on Reprise, as well as with Bea Benjamin, Brand's then wife), there are a couple of more (without Dennard) on the website of the "Bazillus" (this is a sequence of clubs in different locations in town, often led illegally by the same guy/core group of musicians). The "Africana" also got to be a hot spot for local players (such as Irène Schweizer, in whose playing the Brand influence always remained present), as well as for blues musicians, with Champion Jack Dupree appearing there for a long time (my dad says he heard him play there, but I'm not 100% sure, taking into account all the stuff people drank and smoked back then ... actually the "Africana" didn't have an alcohol license though).

On this site here, click on "lookingBack" and then select the various incarnations for some great bits of history of jazz in Zurich:

http://www.bazillusclub.ch/

2 hours ago, king ubu said:

Looking forward a lot to this!

The band photo on jazzwax is from the legendary Zurich club "Africana" (the place where Dollar Brand got his start in exile and was assumedly heard by Ellington who then made a record with Brand on Reprise, as well as with Bea Benjamin, Brand's then wife), there are a couple of more (without Dennard) on the website of the "Bazillus" (this is a sequence of clubs in different locations in town, often led illegally by the same guy/core group of musicians). The "Africana" also got to be a hot spot for local players (such as Irène Schweizer, in whose playing the Brand influence always remained present), as well as for blues musicians, with Champion Jack Dupree appearing there for a long time (my dad says he heard him play there, but I'm not 100% sure, taking into account all the stuff people drank and smoked back then ... actually the "Africana" didn't have an alcohol license though).

On this site here, click on "lookingBack" and then select the various incarnations for some great bits of history of jazz in Zurich:

http://www.bazillusclub.ch/

Interesting, thnx ....

Edited by soulpope

8 hours ago, mikeweil said:

One can buy this CD from Sunnyside at the same price as from amazon ...

http://www.sunnysiderecords.com/release_detail.php?releaseID=870

yes, I have this and it's quite excellent. Disc one has studio-level sound while disc two is pretty rough. Idrees is spectacular as well.