Teddy Wilson Mosaic?

pray that they don't use the same guys for sound who messed up the Dials and the Savoys (which has really gross amounts of distortion even on the samples on their web site) -

yeah, I know we're tired of hearing about this, but this is a serious malfunction (if you disagree with me talk to Doug Pomeroy, who was so upset at the Dial sessions that he wrote Mosaic a letter).

Edited by AllenLowe

Because I finally wanted to hear the sides without Lady Day I gave in and bought a ten (!) CD box by Documents ten years ago. But this box includes some Musicraft material on the last two discs and no CD runs longer than 60 minutes, so 7 CDs is a good guess. 

There was a box on French CBS with all the solos that included many alternates in session order which made it a bit tiresome to listen to - I hope they intersect the solo sessions in between the band tracks and place the alternates the end of the discs. 

There even was a 2 CD reissue of the solo sides:

R-6099582-1411053155-9809.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Teddy-Wilson-The-Complete-Teddy-Wilson-Piano-Solos-/release/6099582

That's the Documents box, just for information, used copies are cheap, but I can imagine much better sound.

51e3-Xa1RdL.jpg

Here's track list, which will give you an idea of what to expect. This box is by no means complete, and includes tracks with Holiday. The Musicraft tracks start at disc 9, track 13. 

https://www.discogs.com/Teddy-Wilson-Portrait/release/6266887

Edited by mikeweil

3 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Because I finally wanted to hear the sides without Lady Day I gave in and bought a ten (!) CD box by Documents ten years ago. But this box includes some Musicraft material on the last two discs and no CD runs longer than 60 minutes, so 7 CDs is a good guess. 

There was a box on French CBS with all the solos that included many alternates in session order which made it a bit tiresome to listen to - I hope they intersect the solo sessions in between the band tracks and place the alternates the end of the discs. 

There even was a 2 CD reissue of the solo sides:

R-6099582-1411053155-9809.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Teddy-Wilson-The-Complete-Teddy-Wilson-Piano-Solos-/release/6099582

Yes that 3-LP box (CBS 66370) is nice but if you are not in the mood, listening can become tiresome due to the strings of alternates. (Who really needs to listen to SEVEN versions of China Boy, making up one entire LP side, in ONE go?)

As for the CD reissues of the solo tracks, I assume these are the commercial recordings only and do NOT include the "School for Pianists" sessions? I have these on Meritt 23 (LP) which incidentally claims this is the "Complete School for Pianists Recordings" but has only 15 tracks (including some alternates), not 18 as mentioned earlier in this thread.

BTW, IMHO the Musicraft material is fine. At any rate I am not totally awestruck by Teddy Wilson's big band recordings. They are OK but I feel the small group sessions of the mid-40s served him better.

44 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

BTW, IMHO the Musicraft material is fine. At any rate I am not totally awestruck by Teddy Wilson's big band recordings. They are OK but I feel the small group sessions of the mid-40s served him better.

I wholeheartedly agree about the superior quality of those Musicraft tracks!

2 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Yes that 3-LP box (CBS 66370) is nice but if you are not in the mood, listening can become tiresome due to the strings of alternates. (Who really needs to listen to SEVEN versions of China Boy, making up one entire LP side, in ONE go?)

As for the CD reissues of the solo tracks, I assume these are the commercial recordings only and do NOT include the "School for Pianists" sessions? I have these on Meritt 23 (LP) which incidentally claims this is the "Complete School for Pianists Recordings" but has only 15 tracks (including some alternates), not 18 as mentioned earlier in this thread.

I confirm the 'Complete School for Pianists  Recordings' is not included in the  French-Dutch CBS but the  rest of the set is pure joy and that includes the various material.

With a few exceptions, most of the tunes that include alternates stick to a couple  of takes (OK 7 alternates of China Boy is a bit much!).

But those Teddy Wilson solos are plain magnificient. 

I've been looking into the 'Teddy Wilson School For Pianists' label.

According to 'The New Grove Dictionary Of Jazz' it recorded in 1938-1939 and issued 5 78's with scores and analytical texts.

I don't think they are owned by Sony but by Universal. The matrix numbers fit in with the ARC Brunswick numbers but they have a P prefix instead of B. Maybe P stands for 'private' or 'personal'. According to the TomLord online disco Merrit 23 included 14 of the 18 tracks. Mosaic MR23-123 The complete Commodore Recordings vol. 1 includes them all. As does the Classics/Neatwork Cd's. Commodore is part of Universal. Unless Mosaic was able to strike a deal with Universal for these recordings they are not part of the coming Mosaic set.

On 3/25/2017 at 0:02 PM, Big Beat Steve said:

No doubt. I was just asking because after a quick check of the Teddy Wilson pages in Brian Rust's discography those 155 tracks WITHOUT the Billie Holiday tracks seemed like an awful lot to me.

It's a chunk. Let's hope Mosaic is up to the task!

gregmo