Teddy Wilson Mosaic?

11 hours ago, SwingItTrev said:

If I've got all the Teddy Wilson HEPs, what would I be missing that this set would cover (in theory)?

Some of the solo piano recordings and altenate takes

Edited by miles65
correcting error

On ā€Ž3ā€Ž/ā€Ž25ā€Ž/ā€Ž2017 at 7:57 AM, mikeweil said:

Because I finally wanted to hear the sides without Lady Day I gave in and bought a ten (!) CD box by Documents tenĀ years ago. But this box includes some Musicraft material on the last two discs and no CDĀ runs longer than 60 minutes, so 7 CDs is a good guess.Ā 

There was a box on French CBS with all the solos that included many alternates in session order which made it a bit tiresome to listen to - I hope they intersect the solo sessions in between the band tracks and place the alternates the end of the discs.Ā 

There even was a 2 CD reissue of the solo sides:

R-6099582-1411053155-9809.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Teddy-Wilson-The-Complete-Teddy-Wilson-Piano-Solos-/release/6099582

That's the Documents box, just for information, used copies are cheap, but I can imagine much better sound.

51e3-Xa1RdL.jpg

Here's track list, which will give you an idea of what to expect. This box is by no means complete, and includes tracks with Holiday. The Musicraft tracks start atĀ disc 9, track 13.Ā 

https://www.discogs.com/Teddy-Wilson-Portrait/release/6266887

Ā 

I have the 3 LP solo set and I have to say that I didn'tĀ tire ofĀ listening to the alternates. Maybe that's just me.

I for one am VERY much interested in swing-era jazz (always have been) but that many alternates strung one after another sometimes ARE a bit much for me (not just in the case of Teddy Wilson - elsewhere too). I like the immediacy of the music (which IMO tends to get lost with too many alternates one after another) and also a bit of variation in listening to this music (which sometimes needs some accommodating anyway to start if you listen to an LP's or CD's worth of 78rpm reissues in one go that were listened to quite differently "one pair at a time" when they were issued and therefore made an impact that is different from the way you absorb it today)Ā  and anyway do not that often dissect bars and tones (trying to find out if maybe on take 17 this or that artist did indeed replace an augmented 15th for a flatted 12 1/2th in bar 37 that he had used on take 15 ^_^). And admittedly THAT's only me. ;)

Which is not to say, of course, that studying and analyzing different takes does not have its merits (it does!) - it's just something that you cannot undertake at all times and it is not something that serves ALL listening and enjoyment purposes of music. So with the CD media I find the approach taken by Ace Records, for example, i.e. putting alternates elsewhere in the sequence of tracks and not directly behind each other, vastly more enjoyable and useful both for straight-ahead listening and absorbing AND for studying and analyzing.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• 2 months later...
23 hours ago, bigbandrecord said:

Ā  Placed order today.......was told that upcoming Ā Teddy Wilson set will be out January 2018.Ā Ā Ā Ā  on the positive note all the backorderd seta will be back in pretty quick succession which will give all of us time to catch up before theĀ Teddy Wilson setĀ comes out.Ā 

so unless I cancel, I will be getting the Goodman set after all?