Chuck Hedges

Larry Kart

I'm ashamed to say that I never paid much attention to clarinetist Hedges (he died in 2010 at age 77), even though he could be heard in Chicago quite often, usually with a Goodman-like small group, the Swingtet. A while ago Terry Martin -- a great clarinet maven -- mentioned that he was a Hedges admirer, and I picked up Hedges quartet album with Eddie Higgins et al. "Just for Fun" (Arbors), which was quite nice but also a bit same-y. Then the other day I ran across this private-label album (see below), with Hedges and the Swingtet, and there Hedges is just inspired. Yes, he's in a Swing or post-Swing bag, if that matters to you, but his fluency and sheer inventiveness place him wholly in the present -- a remarkable player. There's a good deal of Hedges on record, and I'll be listening to him now.

61vd3PFqxtL._SL500_SX425_.jpg

I may have had the same idea about Hedges, but never heard quite enough to really make a decision.  There were so few releases with him as a leader, but I had a couple of Wild Bill Davison albums, something with Tom Saunders...sideman gigs.  He always acquitted himself well.

How might one get that printing-company's release?  (and would it cost reams???)

On 3/25/2017 at 0:31 PM, Ted O'Reilly said:

I may have had the same idea about Hedges, but never heard quite enough to really make a decision.  There were so few releases with him as a leader, but I had a couple of Wild Bill Davison albums, something with Tom Saunders...sideman gigs.  He always acquitted himself well.

How might one get that printing-company's release?  (and would it cost reams???)

Don't know how to get that one. I ran across it at a library de-accessioning sale. Maybe through the printing company itself or through the company's then owner Marty Krebs, who sits in on trumpet? 

http://www.whitepages.com/business/sells-printing-co-llc-new-berlin-wi

Apparently retired, Krebs lives (if he's still with us) in Florida.  920-854-2306, Sister Bay or Tampa, Florida

Looking for Hedges on Amazon, I saw a good number of albums with him as a leader. As I said, "Just for Fun" on Arbors is nice, but some of the other albums I sampled and now have ordered seemed like they might be better.  I ordered  "Just for You" and "No Greater Love." We shall see.

I've had the Live at Andy's CD for a few years now, having picked it up for 2 or 3 bucks while at Reckless Records during a Chicago trip.  I like it a lot and was sad to learn that I had missed my opportunity to see Hedges before he passed.  The album features Hedges' Swingtet, with Duane Thamm on vibraphone and chimes(!), Dave Bany on guitar, John Bany on bass and vocals and Charles Braugham on drums.  While looking up the lineup just now, I discovered that Thamm passed away in 2015, which will make my next listen all the more bittersweet.  There is also a Lionel Hampton tribute under Thamm's name featuring Hedges and the Swingtet.  At any rate, Live At Andy's is a fun. lively album with Hedges and company in great form, so I'd recommend it to anyone who is interested in Hedges or some swing clarinet and/or vibes.

Edited by Justin V

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Thamm was a replacement for Don DeMichael, the original leader of the group and a great friend. Don was a mentor before I met him, and more later.

Also, I think Dave Bany was a replacement for Bob Roberts.

For some reason, strange or not so strange, DeMicheal is a person whose physical and emotional reality (the way he looked, the way he spoke, his wit, etc.) I can conjure up almost instantly after all these years. I think it's the sound of his voice especially -- that slight, kind of sexy, confiding Louisville drawl.

• 3 weeks later...

Both  "Just for You" and "No Greater Love" are very good, though different. The former is in  a neo-Goodman Swingtet bag, but with Milwaukeans, not Chicagoans. Rhythm section is nice, vibes player is OK, guitarist a bit better, Hedges in fine form throughout. One thing about him, he has an uncanny sense for picking just the right tempo. "No Greater Love" is a quartet date with Eddie Higgins in fine form, as is Hedges, though I'd say that in general he's a bit more relaxed in a Swingtet-like setting with other soloists to bounce off of than when he's the only horn.

• 3 weeks later...