Big Ears Festival

BFrank

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Additions to lineup, including Aurora Nealand.

MORE BIG EARS SURPRISES!

Big Ears celebrates its first decade in just more than two months in Knoxville, Tenn., with a roster that already includes 90 of the world’s most legendary composers and performers, cutting-edge musicians and bands, and multiple projects that you won’t see anywhere else during the same long weekend. Today, we are thrilled to announce several additions to this year’s festival that help confirm 2019’s status as the broadest but deepest Big Ears yet.

ABSÎNT

Big Ears 2019 will also include the world premiere of an incredible new band, Absînt. New Orleans saxophonist, clarinetist, and composer Aurora Nealandlearned the lingua franca of the city’s vintage jazz past (including an extended exploration of the Sidney Bichet songbook at Preservation Hall) before unapologetically pushing it ahead. For the first time, she will join a loaded ensemble of Bill Frisell, David Torn, and Tim Berne (who brought this possibility to our attention) for this special occasion, which you’ll only see at Big Ears 2019. 

IAN CHANG 

One of our favorite exceptional young solo instrumentalists, the drummer Ian Chang will do more than join Rafiq Bhatia’s incredible trio at Big Ears 2019. Chang has played with the likes of Matthew Dear and Moses Sumney, but he recently began writing his own music using a cutting-edge system that allows him to trigger and manipulate samples simply by playing the drums. His compositions, animated by an intoxicating light show, are kinetic and considered, punching you in the chest as they compel you to ponder the drum’s digital past and future. 

MARY LATTIMORE 

The harpist Mary Lattimore, on the heels of releasing two of 2018’s most lauded albums, will perform her first proper Big Ears solo set after appearing as a special guest in the past. With her harp, Lattimore creates brilliant vistas, which seem to hover just above the surface of the earth. NPR calledher recent album, Hundreds of Days, “a collective testament to the power of the beginner’s mind, or of allowing what you don’t know to reinvigorate the possibilities of what you’re known for.” Her subsequent collaboration with guitarist Meg Baird made a New Yorker list of the 10 best albums of 2018.

CARNIVAL OF SOULS WITH LIVE SCORE BY MERCURY REV’S CLEAR LIGHT ENSEMBLE

In addition to their own full performance, Mercury Rev will make a rare stateside appearance with one of its multiple alter egos—the Clear Light Ensemble—to provide a live score for the 1962 cult-horror favorite, Carnival of Souls. On occasion during this decade, the band has incorporated favorite collaborators into their textural expanser to offer new sounds for forgotten silent or avant-garde films. In Knoxville, Sonic Youth’s Steve Shelley, the Bad Seeds’ James Sclavunos, Hugo Largo’s Mimi Goese, mutantrumpet pioneer Ben Neill, saxophonist Tim Berne, Jesse Chandler, Jonathan and Grasshopper will round out this all-star Mercury Rev permutation. 

MIMI GOESE & BEN NEILL 

Goese and Neill won’t only be joining Mercury Rev. Though they come from seemingly different musical worlds—she from the art-rock of Hugo Largo, he from the experimental intersection of jazz and electronics—they connected at the start of this century and began building Persephone, a multimedia concert of dream-pop songs and near-symphonic abstraction. With her beguiling voice at the fore and his “mutantrumpet” wrapped around it like surreal lace, they shape gorgeous songs that, these days, use raw environmental data as the input for new tunes.

TIM STORY presents THE ROEDELIUS CELLS 

Composer Tim Story will bring his installation, The Roedelius Cells, to the festival, too. After decades of work with Cluster and Harmonia co-founder (and longtime Brian Eno collaborator) Hans-Joachim Röedelius, Story edited and manipulated slivers of effortless piano vamps from the krautrock master, splitting the results across a circle of eight speakers. The audience moves within the sound field, allowing their perception to shift with their perspective in this awesome feat of meta-musical imagination.

ST JOHN’s CHOIR presents ARVO PÄRT’S PASSIO

And the St. John’s Cathedral Choir of Knoxville returns to Big Ears for a full Sunday afternoon performance of Arvo Pärt’s 1980s masterpiece, Passio. This seamless 70-minute passion exquisitely renders the arrest, sentencing, and crucifixion of Jesus in a powerful dramatic arc. First recorded by the Hilliard Ensemble for ECM’s New Series, it is a fitting work for ECM’s 50th anniversary.

ADDITIONS TO TRANCE MAP+

And, finally, drummer Mark Nauseef, perhaps familiar from collaborations with the likes of the Velvet Underground and Steve Swallow, and acclaimed double bassist Adam Linson will join Evan Parker and Matt Wright’s immersive project, Trance Map+, at Big Ears 2019. These additions come on the heels of last week’s announcement of MOSAIC Interactive , a world premiere that puts musicians from the Muslim world in collaboration with several Western musicians, and the second edition of All Night Flight, our 12-hour drone concert. 

Look for additional announcements—workshops, artist talks, panels, and more—in the weeks to come. Tickets are available for Big Ears 2019 at bigearsfestival.org/tickets.

I'm driving in so that gives me some extra flexibility.

By the way, when they ask who we want in 2020, let's mention Henry Threadgill.  This year they have one I mentioned and two I would have if I thought about it!

BFrank, are you interested a breakfast gathering around 10:45 each day at Tupelo Honey?

Edited by randyhersom

5 hours ago, randyhersom said:

I'm driving in so that gives me some extra flexibility.

By the way, when they ask who we want in 2020, let's mention Henry Threadgill.  This year they have one I mentioned and two I would have if I thought about it!

BFrank, are you interested a breakfast gathering around 10:45 each day at Tupelo Honey?

Hey, Randy. I probably won't know until I get there and rendezvous with my friends. I should be able to make it to at least one, I think. 

5 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Anyone wanting to contact me - my cell is 231 944-8096. Don't be shy. We will be staying at the Crowne Plaza.

Thanks, Chuck!

New York Times

Big Ears Festival Will Throw ECM Records a 50th Birthday Party

The detailed concert schedule required that I slightly modify everyone that I wanted to see because of overlaps, but I focused on my priorities: Wadada Leo Smith - solo and recreating "Devine Love", Bill Frisell - w/ Thomas Morgan and with the Bill Morrison film, the Art Ensemble of Chicago, Thumbscrew, Ralph Towner, Carla Bley's Trio, Avishai Cohen's Quartet, and the Parker, Schlippenbach,Lytton trio. Somewhat bummed that Kim Kashkashian and Punch Brothers conflict with my "must sees". 

Tentatively, I will attend:

Thursday

6:30-7:30: Bill Frisell and Thomas Morgan (Standard)

8-9: Derek Gripper (Knoxville MOA)

10-11: Artifacts Trio (St. John's)

Friday

12-1: Bela Fleck and Edmar Castaneda (St. John's)

2-3: Larry Grenadier (St. John's)

4-5: Shai Maestro (St. John's)

5:30-6:30: Ralph Towner (St. John's)

7-8: Parker Schlippenbach Lytton Trio (Bijou)

9-10: ABSINT (Standard)

11-12: Fire (Standard)

Saturday

12:30-1:30: Columbia Icefield (Standard)

2:30-3:30: Amirtha Kidambi Elder Ones (St. John's)

5-6:15: Carla Bley Trios (Tennessee)

7:30-9: Dejohnette Coltrane Garrison (Tennessee)

9:30-11: McCaya McCraven (Mill and Mine)

12-1:15: Sons of Kemet (Mill and Mine)

Sunday

1-2: Vijay Iyer and Craig Taborn (Tennessee)

9 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Tentatively, I will attend:

Thursday

6:30-7:30: Bill Frisell and Thomas Morgan (Standard)

8-9: Derek Gripper (Knoxville MOA)

10-11: Artifacts Trio (St. John's)

Friday

12-1: Bela Fleck and Edmar Castaneda (St. John's)

2-3: Larry Grenadier (St. John's)

4-5: Shai Maestro (St. John's)

5:30-6:30: Ralph Towner (St. John's)

7-8: Parker Schlippenbach Lytton Trio (Bijou)

9-10: ABSINT (Standard)

11-12: Fire (Standard)

Saturday

12:30-1:30: Columbia Icefield (Standard)

2:30-3:30: Amirtha Kidambi Elder Ones (St. John's)

5-6:15: Carla Bley Trios (Tennessee)

7:30-9: Dejohnette Coltrane Garrison (Tennessee)

9:30-11: McCaya McCraven (Mill and Mine)

12-1:15: Sons of Kemet (Mill and Mine)

Sunday

1-2: Vijay Iyer and Craig Taborn (Tennessee)

Glad that both Schlippenbach Trio & Fire! will be in NYC on 3/25 & 3/28 respectively so I can join in seeing at least 2 of the great bands you all will be seeing!

really a dream for me to be able to see these two trios a few days apart with 2 of my saxophone heroes - Evan Parker & Mats Gustafsson. Plus I know I’ll be seeing Peter Brotzmann in June so this is going to be a great late Spring/early Summer for me!!

7 hours ago, BFrank said:

I'm afraid to look at it because I know there will be conflicts-galore!

There are many.

Also. last year my preferred venue was the Bijou Theater, but this year they have not scheduled much of interest to me in that theater. And too many interesting artists are in the two standing venues (the Standard and the Mill and Mine).