Big Ears Festival

BFrank

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It looks like they have added three venues.

FESTIVAL VENUES

Bijou Theater

BIJOU THEATRE

803 S. Gay Street

Boyd's Jig and Reel

BOYD’S JIG AND REEL

101 S. Central Street

Jackson Terminal

JACKSON TERMINAL

100 S. Gay Street

Knoxville Museum of Art

KNOXVILLE MUSEUM OF ART

1050 World’s Fair Park Drive

Mill & Mine

THE MILL & MINE

225 Depot Avenue

OPAC

OLD CITY PERFORMING ARTS CENTER

111 State Street

The Pilot Light

THE PILOT LIGHT

106 E. Jackson Avenue

Visitor's Center

Knoxville Visitor’s Center

301 S. Gay Street

The Standard

THE STANDARD

416 W. Jackson Avenue

St. John's Cathedral

ST. JOHN’S EPISCOPAL CHURCH

413 Cumberland Avenue

Tennesssee Theatre

TENNESSEE THEATRE

604 S. Gay Street

Tennessee Amphitheater

TENNESSEE AMPHITHEATER AT WORLD’S FAIR PARK

963 World’s Fair Park Drive

I'm very disappointed with this lineup. Big Ears has pretty much been the highlight of my year since 2015, with many bucket list shows achieved, but unless they add some heavy hitters (which may happen) I am probably going to skip it. Seems crazy, but here we are.

Not that there aren't some artists I like on the list, but when it comes to those I haven't already seen and might motivate me to do a road trip and drop $1500 on one weekend, it's really just Annette Peacock, and I wouldn't mind seeing Zorn. That's a big departure from previous years when they were always about 20-25 artists that were represented in my record collection in the lineup, who I had never seen live.

Are hotels and airfares going to be refunded as well, if need be?

Maybe life here in Texas has warped my perspective on the pandemic, but it seems that there are still plenty of crazies left who are keeping this thing alive unnecessarily, and the longer it stays alive, the longer it has a chance to mutate into something even more deadly.

Looking forward to the 2023 festival, hopefully.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Are hotels and airfares going to be refunded as well, if need be?

Maybe life here in Texas has warped my perspective on the pandemic, but it seems that there are still plenty of crazies left who are keeping this thing alive unnecessarily, and the longer it stays alive, the longer it has a chance to mutate into something even more deadly.

Looking forward to the 2023 festival, hopefully.

One should only make a cancelable hotel reservation that does not require prepayment.

From Dallas by air, American Airlines is the only option, so a one-sided policy is a guarantee.   

On 9/18/2021 at 7:33 PM, ombudsman said:

I'm very disappointed with this lineup. Big Ears has pretty much been the highlight of my year since 2015, with many bucket list shows achieved, but unless they add some heavy hitters (which may happen) I am probably going to skip it. Seems crazy, but here we are.

Not that there aren't some artists I like on the list, but when it comes to those I haven't already seen and might motivate me to do a road trip and drop $1500 on one weekend, it's really just Annette Peacock, and I wouldn't mind seeing Zorn. That's a big departure from previous years when they were always about 20-25 artists that were represented in my record collection in the lineup, who I had never seen live.

The opinion of someone for every music festival in the World.

• 5 weeks later...

New Artists Joining The Lineup, Plus Additional Concerts and Programs
Programming for the Big Ears Festival 2022 continues to unfold. On Tuesday, October 26, we'll reveal more of the great artists joining us for the festival, along with some exciting new programs by artists already announced—complementing and enhancing the already dizzying array of offerings for the weekend.

Tue, Nov. 9: Daily Lineups Unveiled / Single Day Passes On Sale
For those unable to commit to the full weekend experience, in a few weeks, we’ll be sharing the daily lineups for the festival and offering a limited number of single day passes. Spread the word!

NEW ARTIST ADDITIONS:
THE SECOND WAVE

Big Ears is proud to announce that rock icon, poet, and writer Patti Smith makes her Big Ears debut March 24-27, 2022. Smith plays a pair of shows at the festival: a full-on rock show with her band, along with Words & Music, an intimate evening of readings and acoustic performance.

Hailed by Rolling Stone as one of our 100 Greatest Artists of All Time, Smith galvanized the New York punk scene in 1975 with the release of her debut album, Horses. She is both a member of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and a Commandeur of the French Ministry of Culture’s Ordre des Arts et des Lettres, in recognition of her significant contributions to the arts. Smith won the National Book Award in 2010 for her memoir, Just Kids, which chronicles her friendship and artistic journey with photographer Robert Mapplethorpe. She has since published several other acclaimed collections of poetry and prose, including 2019’s The Year of the Monkey.

Just three weeks ago Smith electrified London with performances at Royal Albert Hall. The Guardian raved, “The punk legend and poet laureate of dissent returned to London with the apparent intent to wring blood, sweat, and love out of every second of stage time.” NMEsimply declared, " ... it becomes crystal clear: Patti Smith is the world's greatest living rock star."
CLICK TO PURCHASE PASSES FOR BIG EARS 2022
mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmcusercontent.com
In addition to their participation in Big Ears' celebration of the music of John Zorn, John Medeski plays a rare solo piano recital and guitar wizard Julian Lage performs with his crackerjack trio.

Ideally matched in their innovation and vision, guitarists Marisa Anderson and William Tyler play music from their new Thrill Jockey release, Lost Futures.

Mind-blowing fingerstyle guitarist Yasmin Williams brings her abiding sense of invention to a solo set. 

Celtic harpist Maeve Gilchrist is entirely redefining the use of her instrument; she plays a solo set highlighting material from her acclaimed recent release, The Harpweaver
GEORGE—a new collaboration between percussionist John Hollenbeck, saxophonists Aurora Nealand and Anna Webber, and microtonal musician Chiquita Magic—makes its debut live performance. 

Cornetist Ben LaMar Gay leads a quartet playing music from his highly anticipated new album, Open Arms to Open Us, which is being co-released by Nonesuch Records and International Anthem.

Celebrated clarinetist Evan Ziporyn plays a solo program of his own compositions, as well as the world premiere of a newly discovered late-1960s piece by Philip Glass.

The duo Mind Maintenance features decades-long collaborators Joshua Abrams and Chad Taylor performing a focused and enchanting set on the Gnawa guembri and the Zimbabwean mbira.
Sound collagist and composer Claire Rousay plays a set that showcases gorgeously whispered melodies and meticulously assembled found sounds.

A pair of Philadelphia-based saxophone titans, the 82-year-old Odean Pope and the 24-year-old Immanuel Wilkins, are joined in a trio at Big Ears by the fine Danish drummer Kresten Osgood.

Finally, acclaimed Chicago-based chamber collective Ensemble Dal Niente is joined by path-breaking saxophonist Ken Vandermark for a new piece composed by Roscoe Mitchell; in addition they offer a marathon of free-to-the-public performances throughout the festival weekend at the Knoxville Museum of Art.

Instagram
Facebook
Twitter
Spotify

In addition to what we've already announced, we're pleased to highlight some exciting new special program and projects to explore at Big Ears 2022:

• Trumpeter Ambrose Akinmusire plays duets with drummer Andrew Cyrille;
  • Nathalie Joachim makes a solo performance for flute, voice, and electronics;
  • Saul Williams performs a rare solo spoken word set;
  • James McVinnie plays a solo organ recital featuring work by J.S. Bach and Philip Glass;
  • Singer / songwriter Leyla McCalla performs her Vari-Colored Songs: A Tribute to Langston Hughes, accompanied by a string quintet from Nashville new music ensemble, chatterbird;
  • Guitarist Gyan Riley joins Bang on a Can All-Stars to perform Terry Riley’s Autodreamographical Tales;
  • Attacca Quartet play a concert featuring work by Flying Lotus, Squarepusher, and others from their release Real Life; on an additional program, Caroline Shaw joins Attacca to perform music composed exclusively by Shaw;
  • Sō Percussion play Julia Wolfe’s Forbidden Love, Nathalie Joachim’s Note to Self(a piece for Sō and Joachim), and the world premiere of Angélica Negrón’s When the Sun Hits Just Right (an octet for Sō and Kronos Quartet); 
  • Composer and saxophonist Miguel Zenón and Spektral Quartet play Yo Soy La Tradición, as well as the world premiere of a new quartet Zenon has written for Spektral;
  • Ensemble Dal Niente play a full two-day sequence of brief sets at the Knoxville Museum of Art.

Stay tuned for further additions to the Big Ears 2022 schedule, along with films, workshops, conversations, panels, and surprise performances.

• 3 months later...

The festival website now lists the venue where the artists will perform on the page for each artist. Times are not yet listed.

Thursday:

Joe Henry with Jason Moran: Bijou

Trefoil: Old City Performing Arts Center (PAC)

Theon Cross: PAC

Friday:

Sons of Kemet: Mill and Mine

Kris Davis: PAC

Julian Lage: Bijpu

Andrew Cyrille and Ambrose Akinmusire: Bijou

Craig Taborn: Bijou

Mdou Moctar: Mill and Mine

Aurora Nealand: Tennessee Amphitheater

Jeff Parker: Bijou

Saturday:

John Zorn: Bijou

Andrew Cyrille and Marc Ribot: Standard

Angel Bat Dawid: Standard

Jason Moran: Bijou

Nubya Garcia: Mill and Mine

Christian Scott: Mill and Mine

Harriet Tubman: Standard

Leyla McCallas: St. John's Cathedral

Ches Smith: Tennessee Theater

Yasmin Williams: St John's Cathedral

Sunday: 

John Zorn: Bijou

Bill Frisell: Mill and Mine

Marc Ribot: St. John's Cathedral

Ambrose Akinmusire: Standard

Odean Pope and Immanuel Wilkins: Standard

Miguel Zenon: St. John's Cathedral

LOW TICKET ALERT!
Yes, tickets for Big Ears 2022 are almost gone. We have fewer than 300 weekend passes remaining and only 50-100 remaining for each of the single days. Next week, we'll announce our detailed schedule (who, when, where) of concerts for the 2022 weekend. At that time, any remaining weekend passes, currently priced at $300, will move to $350. If you’re planning to join us at Big Ears, we urge you to make your plans and act soon to avoid disappointment.

Things will change of course, but here's my initial plan

Thursday
4:30 So Percussion
6:30 Patti Smith
7:45 Trefoil in progress
9:00 Trefoil
10:00 Fennesz in progress
possibly Low or Joe Henry (in progress)

Friday 
12:00 Craig Taborn
1:30 Arooj Aftab, leaving early for 
2:30 Harriet Tubman
4:15 Cyrille Akinmusire
5:15 possibly end of Kris Davis Diatom Ribbons
6:15 Kris Davis Diatom Ribbons
7:30 possibly end of Sons of Kemet
8:30 Ensemble Dal Niente & Ken Vandermark
10:00 Patti Smith
11:30 end of Jason Moran, or Mdou Moctar

Saturday
10:00 Ensemble Dal Niente
1:00 Myra Melford, (narrowly over Ches Smith)
2:00 Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah
5:30 Jason Moran
7:00 Cyrille Ribot
9:00 Jaimie Branch
10:30 Annette Peacock, possibly leaving early for 
11:00 Joshua Abrams

Sunday
12:00 Zorn
2:00 Miguel Zenon
3:15 Bill Frisell in progress
4:15 Odean Pope
6:00 Bang on a Can, leaving early for 
6:45 Ambrose Akinmusire
8:00 GEORGE leaving early for 
9:00 Zorn New Masada Quartet

Working on plan.

Thursday:

4:30-5:30: So Percussion, Tennessee Amphitheater

6:00-7:00: Dos Santos, Tennessee Amphitheater

7:30-8:30: Damon Locks, Tennessee Ampitheater

9:00-10:00: Trefoil, Old City PAC

11-12: Theon Cross, Old City PAC

Friday:

12-1: Craig Taborn Trio, Bijou

2:30-3:30: Harriet Tubman, Mill and Mine

3:30-4:15: Aurora Nealand and the Royal Roses, Tennessee Amphitheater

4:30-5:45: Kris Davis Diatom Ribbons, Old City PAC

6:30-7:30: Jeff Parker, Bijou or Sons of Kemet (6:45-8:00), Mill and Mine

8:45-10: Julian Lage, Bijou

11-12:15: Jason Moran, Bill Frisell, Thomas Morgan, Biran Blade: Bijou or Mdou Moctar (11:30-12:45), Mill and Mine

Saturday:

12-1: John Zorn, Bijou

2-3:15: Christian Scott, Mill and Mine

4:15-5:30 Nubya Garcia, Mill and Mine

5:30-6:30: Jason Moran, St. John's

7-8: Andrew Cyrille & Marc Ribot, The Standard, or Ben Lamar Gay (6:30-7:30, Old City PAC)

9-10: Jaimie Branch, The Standard

11-12: Joshua Abrams, The Standard

Sunday:

12-1: Alabaster  dePlume, The Standard

2-3:15: Miguel Zenon, The Standard

4:15-5:30: Odean Pope and Immanuel Wilkins, The Standard

6:45-8:00: Ambrose Akinmusire Quartet, The Standard

8-9: George, Old City PAC

9-10: John Zorn, Bijou

Edited by kh1958