Followers 0
BFrank

Big Ears Festival

234 posts in this topic

I am on the fence.

On 9/15/2021 at 4:28 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

I am on the fence.

Sounds painful ... get OFF! ;)

Oh, and get a pass. Looks like a great lineup (to ME)!

It looks like they have added three venues.

FESTIVAL VENUES

Bijou Theater

BIJOU THEATRE

803 S. Gay Street

Boyd's Jig and Reel

BOYD’S JIG AND REEL

101 S. Central Street

Jackson Terminal

JACKSON TERMINAL

100 S. Gay Street

Knoxville Museum of Art

KNOXVILLE MUSEUM OF ART

1050 World’s Fair Park Drive

Mill & Mine

THE MILL & MINE

225 Depot Avenue

OPAC

OLD CITY PERFORMING ARTS CENTER

111 State Street

The Pilot Light

THE PILOT LIGHT

106 E. Jackson Avenue

Visitor's Center

Knoxville Visitor’s Center

301 S. Gay Street

The Standard

THE STANDARD

416 W. Jackson Avenue

St. John's Cathedral

ST. JOHN’S EPISCOPAL CHURCH

413 Cumberland Avenue

Tennesssee Theatre

TENNESSEE THEATRE

604 S. Gay Street

Tennessee Amphitheater

TENNESSEE AMPHITHEATER AT WORLD’S FAIR PARK

963 World’s Fair Park Drive

I'm very disappointed with this lineup. Big Ears has pretty much been the highlight of my year since 2015, with many bucket list shows achieved, but unless they add some heavy hitters (which may happen) I am probably going to skip it. Seems crazy, but here we are.

Not that there aren't some artists I like on the list, but when it comes to those I haven't already seen and might motivate me to do a road trip and drop $1500 on one weekend, it's really just Annette Peacock, and I wouldn't mind seeing Zorn. That's a big departure from previous years when they were always about 20-25 artists that were represented in my record collection in the lineup, who I had never seen live.

I would really like to see what Caroline Shaw is going to bring, but...the Covid thing is still unpredictable enough for me that I don't want to put out that much cash this far in advance.

Last year they refunded the ticket money for the 2020 BE Fest.

BTW, the Premier Festival and Sonic Explorer Passes are already SOLD OUT for 2021, for anyone who was still interested.

Are hotels and airfares going to be refunded as well, if need be?

Maybe life here in Texas has warped my perspective on the pandemic, but it seems that there are still plenty of crazies left who are keeping this thing alive unnecessarily, and the longer it stays alive, the longer it has a chance to mutate into something even more deadly.

Looking forward to the 2023 festival, hopefully.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Are hotels and airfares going to be refunded as well, if need be?

Maybe life here in Texas has warped my perspective on the pandemic, but it seems that there are still plenty of crazies left who are keeping this thing alive unnecessarily, and the longer it stays alive, the longer it has a chance to mutate into something even more deadly.

Looking forward to the 2023 festival, hopefully.

One should only make a cancelable hotel reservation that does not require prepayment.

From Dallas by air, American Airlines is the only option, so a one-sided policy is a guarantee.   

On 9/18/2021 at 7:33 PM, ombudsman said:

I'm very disappointed with this lineup. Big Ears has pretty much been the highlight of my year since 2015, with many bucket list shows achieved, but unless they add some heavy hitters (which may happen) I am probably going to skip it. Seems crazy, but here we are.

Not that there aren't some artists I like on the list, but when it comes to those I haven't already seen and might motivate me to do a road trip and drop $1500 on one weekend, it's really just Annette Peacock, and I wouldn't mind seeing Zorn. That's a big departure from previous years when they were always about 20-25 artists that were represented in my record collection in the lineup, who I had never seen live.

The opinion of someone for every music festival in the World.

Hotels and airfare are up to each one. You'd have to check. Most hotels don't look for payment until a day or so before check-in, though. United gave me credit for my flight to the 2020 BE Fest, so I used that for my 2022 flight.