Candido

Larry Kart

i saw the man himself, it blew my mind.  dont let that cover deceive you, hes the rick wakeman of congas- his signature sound was not 1, not 2, but he pioneered the use of a 3-conga setup

if u like the debut this is the other one of the abc paramounts thats the best.....some get orchestrated with selections like 'the peanut vendor' (remember abc paramount) but this one is also straight up

R-2298635-1275263937.jpeg.jpg

I always gave some of his solos to my conga drum students to memorize - perfectly clear drum sound and conception, especially from these albums:

R-2339511-1294321026.jpeg.jpgR-3386944-1328396017.jpeg.jpgR-2254429-1316787285.jpeg.jpg

He plays only one solo on the Ammons jam session, but it is exemplary. He had the perfect balance of swinging phrasing and straightahead Cuban feel.

Always loved him, especially when he set in with Bird an Bud, mostly in 1953 at Birdland. What he does on the tune " Broadway" is just fantastic, like on that date of Bud with Bird and Candido. The 4´s between Art Taylor and Candido is really something......

Saw him on a video of Dizzy´s Dreamband around the early 80´s, it seems he never aged, he looked just the same and did fantastic things on Manteca

On March 27, 2017 at 6:46 PM, danasgoodstuff said:

Interested to hear what you think then.  Hope (and expect) you'll enjoy.

Thousand Finger Man is spinning.
R-726303-1155120445.jpeg.jpg

Wow. What a different album than "Beautiful." Same band really, same arranger, same engineer and studio. Different producer, and that producer makes a difference. 

Lots more reverb to this album than I would have thought. This one is so pop jazz, sort of Hollywood in spots, sort of Motown in others. Horns are bunched together more in arrangement. Duke Pearson is the producer. 

"Beautiful" is a bit more funky, cheesy in a different way. Sounds less frantic and sweeter. This time the arranger Joe Cain is the producer. 

With Duke Pearson as the producer of "Thousand Finger Man" I would have thought the opposite!
Edited by jazzbo