Arthur Blythe R.I.P.

Mark Stryker

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blythe's debut on record: Horace Tapscott's "The Giant is Awakened."  April 1969, a  month shy of his 29th birthday

The Giant Is Awakened : The Horace Tapscott Quintet : Arthur Blythe (as) Horace Tapscott (p) David Bryant, Walter Savage, Jr. (b) Everett Brown, Jr. (d)
  Los Angeles, April 1, 1969
  The giant is awakened Flying Dutchman FDS-10107, Novus 3107-2-N [CD]
  For Fats                -                -
  The dark tree (*)                -                -
  Niger's theme                -                -
Note:

Novus 3107-2-N [CD] titled "West Coast Hot"; rest of CD by John Carter, January 3, 1969.
(*) This title also on RCA 2-1984.
(*) This title also on RCA APL2-1984 titled "Leonard Feather's Encyclopedia of Jazz in the '70's"; rest of LP by others.
All above titles also on Novus (Eu)ND83107 [CD] titled "West Coast Hot"; rest of CD by John Carter, January 3, 1969

Edited by Mark Stryker

10 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

Blythe's debut on record: Horace Tapscott's "The Giant is Awakened."  April 1969, a  month shy of his 29th birthday

The Giant Is Awakened : The Horace Tapscott Quintet : Arthur Blythe (as) Horace Tapscott (p) David Bryant, Walter Savage, Jr. (b) Everett Brown, Jr. (d)
  Los Angeles, April 1, 1969
  The giant is awakened Flying Dutchman FDS-10107, Novus 3107-2-N [CD]
  For Fats                -                -
  The dark tree (*)                -                -
  Niger's theme                -                -
Note:

Novus 3107-2-N [CD] titled "West Coast Hot"; rest of CD by John Carter, January 3, 1969.
(*) This title also on RCA 2-1984.
(*) This title also on RCA APL2-1984 titled "Leonard Feather's Encyclopedia of Jazz in the '70's"; rest of LP by others.
All above titles also on Novus (Eu)ND83107 [CD] titled "West Coast Hot"; rest of CD by John Carter, January 3, 1969

Reissued of course by Jonathan Horwich.

At a Chicago Jazz Fest many years ago he was featured in a Horace Tapscott led reprisal of the Sonny Criss lp "Sonny's Dream ( Birth of the New Cool)".  Arthur Blythe took the Criss role and was great.  It remains one of the best sets I ever heard at the many Chicago Jazz Fests I attended.   God bless Arthur Blythe.  R.I.P.

11 hours ago, rpklich said:

At a Chicago Jazz Fest many years ago he was featured in a Horace Tapscott led reprisal of the Sonny Criss lp "Sonny's Dream ( Birth of the New Cool)".  Arthur Blythe took the Criss role and was great.  It remains one of the best sets I ever heard at the many Chicago Jazz Fests I attended.   God bless Arthur Blythe.  R.I.P.

This sounds pretty awesome. I wish it were taped.

I don't think you meant 'reprisal' though.

12 hours ago, rpklich said:

I`m full of envy ;) ....

Most of the Columbia albums led by Blythe are not available on CD. Four of them were released just last year on CD in a budget two CD package, on the BGO label. I think that this was the first CD reissue for at least two of the albums. Some of the later Columbias have never been reissued on CD.

https://www.discogs.com/Arthur-Blythe-Four-Arthur-Blythe-Albums-On-Two-Discs-Lenox-Avenue-Breakdown-In-The-Tradition-Illusio/release/8819284

I have long though that the Complete Columbia Arthur Blythe Albums would be a good Mosaic set.

Edited by Hot Ptah

1 hour ago, Hot Ptah said:

Most of the Columbia albums led by Blythe are not available on CD. Four of them were released just last year on CD in a budget two CD package, on the BGO label. I think that this was the first CD reissue for at least two of the albums. Some of the later Columbias have never been reissued on CD.

https://www.discogs.com/Arthur-Blythe-Four-Arthur-Blythe-Albums-On-Two-Discs-Lenox-Avenue-Breakdown-In-The-Tradition-Illusio/release/8819284

I have long though that the Complete Columbia Arthur Blythe Albums would be a good Mosaic set.

Or at least make them available for download on a platform like Bandcamp where you have the option of downloading the albums in lossless formats.   Here's hoping that BGO (or someone else) releases the rest of Columbias on cd. 

1 hour ago, mandrill said:

RIP, Mr. Blythe. Spinning this LP right now- the first recording under his name i believe.

Per Wikipedia, "The Grip" (on India Navigation) was recorded and released before "Bush Baby."  

What weird is they say "In The Tradition" was released before "Lenox Avenue Breakdown."  I seem to recall Lenox being released first.