Arthur Blythe R.I.P.

Mark Stryker

58 minutes ago, mjzee said:

Per Wikipedia, "The Grip" (on India Navigation) was recorded and released before "Bush Baby."  

What weird is they say "In The Tradition" was released before "Lenox Avenue Breakdown."  I seem to recall Lenox being released first.

Lenox was definitely released first, I remember the shock waves it created.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, felser said:

Lenox was definitely released first, I remember the shock waves it created.

Absolutely.  And in turn, the release of "In the Tradition" created its own shock wave, as it was such a departure from the avant edge of "Lenox Avenue."  That was such a golden moment for the music.  So many brilliant talents emerging, and the music was being heard by a surprisingly large segment of the music audience (OK, so the percentage was never that great, but still ... much healthier than recent decades.)  Columbia was backing a number of the emerging talents, spending money on advertising and press, a major breakout of the music seemed to be on the horizon.

I've enjoyed Arthur Blythe's work as a sideman with Jack DeJohnette, Rodney Jones and Jeff Palmer, but I am only now exploring his work as a leader.  I am about to listen to Illusions for the first time and am interested in checking out more of his Columbia albums.  Thank you for the music, Mr. Blythe, and rest in peace.

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 9:52 PM, mjzee said:

Per Wikipedia, "The Grip" (on India Navigation) was recorded and released before "Bush Baby."  

What weird is they say "In The Tradition" was released before "Lenox Avenue Breakdown."  I seem to recall Lenox being released first.

You are correct. The live concert that was released as two LPs The Grip & Metamorphosis (later combined on one CD) was recorded in October of 1977, while Bush Baby, being his first studio session, recorded in December of that year.

• 4 weeks later...