2 1/2 days in D.C.

I've only been to DC twice myself, and am going back this July for the Man United-Barcelona game.

The new Smithsonian African American Museum is impressive, although I only went to the Music and Musicians part of it, which occupies the whole top floor. Not just jazz, but a lot of one of a kind interesting memorabilia and personal effects from other genres. Chuck Berry's cherry red convertible Caddy is on full display. You must go to their website early in the morning, to reserve admission, otherwise they may not let you in.

National Art Gallery is far out. They run free docent tours several times a day. 

The open top bus tours can be fun also, especially if the weather is sunny.  Just pick a reputable operator, some of then suck.

The record store scene is understandably much more humble than NYC, and not essential, unless you're on a mission.

Just checked. Roy Hargrove is at the Blues Alley this weekend. 

I haven't been back to DC since the African American Museum opened, but would love to check it out.

My two "must see" recommendations:

1.  The Holocaust Museum, which vividly brings to life the reality of what happened leading up to and through WWII.  It impacted me almost equally as much as visiting some of the existing concentration camps in Europe.

2. The new(er) Air & Space Museum Annex out near Dulles, called the Steven Udvar-Hazy Center.  For me it's far more impressive than the original Air and Space Museum downtown on the Mall.  You will see some truly amazing aviation history at Udvar-Hazy, including a piece of Hindenburg fabric, aircraft dating back to the 1910's, an SR-71 Blackbird, a Concorde, the Space Shuttle Discovery, and the Enola Gay.  THE Enola Gay.   I could spend 2 1/2 days in this museum alone.