2017 MLB Facts, Lies, Propaganda, Opinions, & Pictures

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Katy Feeney, Baseball Executive Who Oversaw Scheduling, Dies at 68

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/03/sports/baseball/katy-feeney-dead-major-league-baseball-executive.html?_r=0

04FEENEYweb-1-superJumbo.jpg

Major League Baseball announced her death but did not specify a cause or where she died in Maine. Baseball officials said she died in her sleep and had not shown any sign of illness. She lived in New York.

Born in 1949, Katy Feeney, a graduate of the University of California, Berkeley, had worked in a variety of jobs — as a waitress, a teacher’s aide, a gas station attendant and a probation officer — when she joined the National League.

Anybody here who's a T-Mobile customer, check your email.  Today only (so for only a few more hours), you can get a free 2017 subscription to MLB.TV Premium by downloading the T-Mobile Tuesday app onto your phone.  (You also will need to register at MLB.com)  For the past several years I've simply gotten a GameDay audio subscription because it's only $2.99 a month, and I like listening to baseball on the radio--but I'm more than willing to take up T-Mobile on this offer.  Watching Yankees-Rays on my phone even as I type.:g

1 hour ago, Aggie87 said:

Would that free subscription include the ability to watch games on a computer monitor (or other device), rather than just on your phone?  That might make it worth it to me, to be able to watch Astros games this year.  

Yes--I watched much of tonight's game on my laptop, then switched to my phone when I was out in the kitchen. You use your normal log-in for MLB.com (assuming you're already registered there--if you're not, it's a pretty quick process) after having downloaded the T-Mobile Tuesday app and redeemed the April 4 offer for a year's free subscription.

Ways to watch MLB.TV

Edited by ghost of miles

1 hour ago, Aggie87 said:

Would that free subscription include the ability to watch games on a computer monitor (or other device), rather than just on your phone?  That might make it worth it to me, to be able to watch Astros games this year.  

Find out if you're in the Astros market- if you are, you won't be able to watch their games on MLB.TV....if you state you're somewhere else- like NJ then you'll be able to watch the Astro games.

Roy Sievers, Slugging Washington Senator in the ’50s, Dies at 90

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/04/sports/baseball/roy-sievers-dead-slugger-with-washington-senators.html?_r=0

05sievers1-superJumbo.jpg

Playing for the Senators from 1954 to 1959, Sievers was a favorite of Vice President Richard M. Nixon, who was master of ceremonies at a night for him in September 1957.

In 1959, after Nixon’s so-called Kitchen Debate with the Soviet leader Nikita S. Khrushchev over the merits of capitalism versus communism at a model kitchen in an American national exhibition in Moscow, Sievers was among those at Nixon’s welcome-home party at a Washington airport.

At the time, the Senators were in the midst of a losing streak, and when he greeted Nixon, Sievers recalled, “The first thing he said was, ‘What in the hell is wrong with the Senators?’

“And I said, ‘Mr. Vice President, we’re just not hitting good, the pitching’s not good.’ He said, ‘I’ll be out the next night.’ Usually, when he came out we’d win the ballgame. But we lost.”

The Senators went on to drop 18 straight games.

Beyond the ballpark, Sievers was part of the Singing Senators, organized by the team’s broadcaster Bob Wolff. One day in June 1958, Wolff, playing the ukulele, appeared on the Washington Mall with Sievers, his fellow outfielders Jim Lemon and Albie Pearson and a couple of Senators pitchers and joined them in song for the NBC-TV “Today” program, hosted by Dave Garroway.

Ruben Amaro Sr., Infielder for Star-Crossed ’64 Phillies, Dies at 81

06amaro-obit-master768.jpg

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/05/sports/baseball/ruben-amaro-sr-dead-philadelphia-phillies.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fobituaries&action=click&contentCollection=obituaries&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=6&pgtype=sectionfront

Amaro was also a first-base coach, for the Phillies. It was in that role that he finally made it to a World Series with the team, in 1980, under Dallas Green, who died on March 22. The Phillies prevailed, beating the Kansas City Royals, four games to two, to win their first championship.

3 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

A very good trade for Washington, though, I think.

Absolutely!  Sievers had played for Bill Veeck in St. Louis, and he wanted him in Chicago.  As I recall, the Senators also received $150,000. cash.

Mincher may have been the only player for both the original Senators and the expansion Senators.  I'm sure he played for both, but I'm not sure he was the only one to do so.

"Earl Battey was one of the finest catchers I have ever seen. I don't think we realized how great he was until a little after our game. He was not a very fast guy, as people will tell you, but he made up for it with a great arm and knowledge of how to handle pitchers, particularly young pitchers." - Hall of Famer & Teammate Harmon Killebrew (AP Wire, 11/18/2003, 'Battey was a four-time All-Star')