2017 MLB Facts, Lies, Propaganda, Opinions, & Pictures

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, we're up to .500. This is gonna be our year!

wait, that's for the cowboys fans to say...never mind.

Anybody remember Steve Palermo?

Steve Palermo, Umpire Whose Career Was Ended by a Bullet, Dies at 67

16palermo-obit-master768-v2.jpg

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/15/sports/baseball/steve-palermo-umpire-major-league-baseball-dies-age-67.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fobituaries&action=click&contentCollection=obituaries&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=2&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=0

Mr. Palermo was the third-base umpire at Fenway Park in Boston on Oct. 2, 1978, for the playoff game between the Yankees and the Red Sox. When Bucky Dent of the Yankees hit a go-ahead three-run homer over the Green Monster in left field in the seventh inning, Mr. Palermo signaled that it was a fair ball. After the game, his father, a Red Sox fan, acted standoffish toward him.

“What, you couldn’t have called that ball foul?” his father asked, according to an article by Joe Posnanski of MLB.com.

“It was, like, 20 feet fair,” Steve Palermo said.

“So?” his father said....

Mr. Palermo said that he did not regret the action that ended his umpiring career, and that he hoped others would have done the same thing if his wife were being attacked.

If he were to say he wouldn’t do it again, he told MLB.com, “It means I made a mistake. I just can’t admit it was a mistake.”

Everyone's criticizing but new respect for Posey from here. If that was a pitcher with an ongoing feud with a hitter, no that's not your mess to clean up or prevent.  No reason to defend the indefensible even when its your teammate.

Pitcher should be suspended about 15 days.

3 hours ago, paul secor said:

What impresses me about Judge is that he's not just taking big swings - HR or strikeout. He's become a good disciplined hitter - .320+ BA and .430+ OBA.

Agreed ... he is currently among the top 5 players in the American League for Bat Avg, HR`S and RBI`s - impressive indeed ....

On 5/27/2017 at 1:58 PM, GA Russell said:

Jim Bunning has died at 85.  RIP.

I had his bubble gum card in 1959 when he was with Detroit.  Truly a great one.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05/27/jim-bunning-mlb-hall-famer-and-ex-gop-senator-dies-at-85.html

I remember listening to part of his no-hitter against the Mets on Father's Day in 1964 during a ride home from Jones Beach.

9 hours ago, paul secor said:

What impresses me about Judge is that he's not just taking big swings - HR or strikeout. He's become a good disciplined hitter - .320+ BA and .430+ OBA.

After going 4-4 today (2 HR, double, single, and a walk) his BA is up to .344. His OBA and slugging pct must be soaring as well... Guy is unbelievable, just a joy to watch. 

Complete turnaround from the end of last season, when he was constantly swinging at pitches out of the strike zone and striking out about half the time.

I actually missed the 495 foot homer. I turned off the game to do a couple of chores around the house. Thanks for the link - plus I'm sure they'll show it a few times after the game. Sanchez hit a long one earlier in the game. He's starting to turn it around and is getting his timing back after the injury that cost him almost a month at the beginning of the season.

6 hours ago, paul secor said:

Actually, the long HRs are fun to see, but his BA, OBA, and slugging % impress me more.

I agree--he's putting up Ted-Williams-type numbers at the plate and excelling in the field and on the base paths as well. And, as of this evening, leading the American League in HR, BA, and RBI. Very Mantle '56! The rest of this year's team ain't so bad either. ^_^

(Sanchez's home run today made him only the 4th player in MLB history to hit 30 HR in his first 90 games.)