2017 MLB Facts, Lies, Propaganda, Opinions, & Pictures

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP Anthony Young, a former Met, who died too young from a brain tumor. For those who have never heard of him, he lost 27 games in a row between 1992 and 1993 but bore it stoically and with grace and humor. He was only 51.  Well known to Mets fans. 

Up-and-down times for the Yankees of late. That Dustin Fowler injury Thursday night was a heartbreaker, but I love that Girardi had a closed-door team meeting to talk with him via FaceTime a few hours after his surgery. Clint Frazier being brought up today--can't remember in my lifetime when NY had so many exciting prospects in the pipeline. (Bummer about Glaybor Torres being out for the year, though. Bad injury bug for NY at both the major and minor league levels right now.) Glad to see them bounce back last night against Houston, which is pretty clearly the team to beat in the American League. Oh, and Aaron Judge is going to pile up a lot of walks before this season's over; the other night the White Sox intentionally walked him with two outs and nobody on, aka "the Barry Bonds treatment."  Anyway, the Yankees are lucky after the past several weeks to be neck-and-neck with Boston in the AL East. 

15 hours ago, soulpope said:

It's the only part of the show for Yankee fans to enjoy. Another rocky start for Pineda today, another meltdown by Betances, and NY goes down to their 16th loss in  the last 22 games. Going back further, they are 23-30 over their last 53 games, or nearly a third of a season. Blown saves have accounted for a lot of losses, but the team is injury-riddled and discombobulated right now. Looks like this might turn out to be the predicted "rebuilding year" after all.

2 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Brewers continue to overachieve. How long can it last?

I was telling my girlfriend the other night about seeing the Brewers at the old County Stadium during the Stormin'-Gorman/Ben Oglivie years when I was a kid (Brewers hit two home runs that night, prompting a slide from their mascot in each instance into a gigantic beer mug).  In looking for footage or images of the old home-run beer-barrel slide, I came across this ad:

What's Brewin'

Reminds you of what the world used to look like, circa early 80s.  ^_^

Edited by ghost of miles

Meet the Mets was the original theme song of the Mets and still used. A great version was by Jane Jarvis when ballparks still had organs before they gave themselves over to blaring rock and hip hop songs. At Citifield each player has his own song which they play when he comes up to bat. 

On 6/27/2017 at 4:33 PM, JSngry said:

If by "major" you mean relative to the season-long impotence of the bullpen, then, maybe? Or maybe not.

Look out, Jsngry and other posters in this thread bemoaning the state of their favorite team's bullpen--the Yankees will ultimately yield to nobody in their race to the bottom!

MLB expanded team pitching stats

New York and Texas tied for most blown saves so far--17 apiece.  The Yankees' save percentage only slightly better because they've had 34 opportunities to Texas' 30, but give us a few more games and we're sure to pass both you and Philadelphia in our floor-crashing descent!

Just came across this at Pinstripe Alley's recap of last night's disaster (another blog had the headline, "Yankees bullpen has good night, yields only seven runs"):

The grand slam broke a 4-4 tie and basically put the game out of reach for New York. Clippard’s ERA now sits at 5.24, which is just criminally bad for a high-leverage reliever. How bad has he been lately? (via Twitter)

>>Katie Sharp @ktsharp

Entering today, opponents slugging .683 vs Tyler Clippard in high-leverage PAs. Aaron Judge entered today slugging .697<<

He turns almost all the batters he faces in high-leverage situations into the best hitter in baseball. That’s atrocious.

Edited by ghost of miles

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

Look out, Jsngry and other posters in this thread bemoaning the state of their favorite team's bullpen--the Yankees will ultimately yield to nobody in their race to the bottom!

MLB expanded team pitching stats

New York and Texas tied for most blown saves so far--17 apiece.  The Yankees' save percentage only slightly better because they've had 34 opportunities to Texas' 30, but give us a few more games and we're sure to pass both you and Philadelphia in our floor-crashing descent!

Just came across this at Pinstripe Alley's recap of last night's disaster (another blog had the headline, "Yankees bullpen has good night, yields only seven runs"):

The grand slam broke a 4-4 tie and basically put the game out of reach for New York. Clippard’s ERA now sits at 5.24, which is just criminally bad for a high-leverage reliever. How bad has he been lately?

He turns almost all the batters he faces in high-leverage situations into the best hitter in baseball. That’s atrocious.

The bullpen is a mess and run production also halted which sums up the last three weeks .... sorry if being repetitve, but Aaron Judge is giving me a lot of consolation though ....

Edited by soulpope

With 20/20 hindsight that's probably true but looking into the future last year, the future didn't look particularly bright and no one thought the Yankees would be that good this year. Moreover, had Betances pitched up to his capabilities this year, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. 

And I quote: https://www.lonestarball.com/2017/7/9/15944742/rangers-lose-finale-3-0-to-angels

I’m sick of having to write this post game. It’s the same damn thing ever five days. The Rangers scored 23 runs the last three games and could only muster two HITS with Yu Darvish on the mound.

Here are these stupid numbers again because this keeps happening: In seven of his last nine starts, Yu Darvish has exited the game with the Rangers having scored one or fewer runs of support. In four of those games, including today’s stupid game, they scored zero runs.

What the fuck is wrong with this team?