2017 MLB Facts, Lies, Propaganda, Opinions, & Pictures

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a really nice catch. I just didn't go for him pounding his chest afterwards. I never saw Willie Mays or Paul Blair - two center fielders who were better than Bradley Jr. - do that. And I saw Dave Winfield rob hitters of home runs by jumping and reaching over the fence numerous times with no chest pounding. I guess it's a different time and when players have a high opinion of themselves, humility takes a back seat.

Edited by paul secor

Dallas Keuchel pitching a rehab game tonight here in Corpus Christi for the Hooks (Astros' 2A team).  

I'm tempted to go, but it's still hotter than hell at this hour of the day, and I think the tickets are sold out and going for a premium.  

That said, it's *NOT* hotter than the time I went to a 51's game in August 2011 in Las Vegas.  They were the 3A team for the Blue Jays then, I think they're the 3A team for the Mets now.  That was ridiculously hot.  

Aaron Judge snapped out of his power slump last night by hitting a home run that almost went out of Safeco Field:

Judge's mammoth home run

And D-Rob struck out the side in his first appearance as a returned Yankee.

This team may end up at best scrabbling for one of the two wild-card spots, but Judge and Clint Frazier alone are making them a ton of fun to watch. 

Edited by ghost of miles

On 17.7.2017 at 4:57 PM, paul secor said:

It was a really nice catch. I just didn't go for him pounding his chest afterwards. I never saw Willie Mays or Paul Blair - two center fielders who were better than Bradley Jr. - do that. And I saw Dave Winfield rob hitters of home runs by jumping and reaching over the fence numerous times with no chest pounding. I guess it's a different time and when players have a high opinion of themselves, humility takes a back seat.

Just another sign of Judge`s impact on some players ;) ....

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

If he is juicing, and continues to do so next year, he'll not prove he's not juicing by having the same type of perfomance.

Has the guy's physique undergone any noticeable changes since his minor league days?

According to this article, when Judge played football in high school he was 6:7 and weighed 240 pounds. Eight-nine years on, he's still at 6:7 (or 6:8, by some accounts) and weighs 282 pounds. That kind of growth in a well-trained athlete doesn't seem so unusual to me between the ages of 16 and 25. I'd truly be shocked if he were discovered to be juicing. Aside from his much-improved plate discipline this year, my response to Brad's friends would be that home runs are way up this year across all of MLB. Pitchers say the ball's more tightly wound; whatever the case may be, a lot more of them landing in the seats this season.

7 hours ago, BERIGAN said:

I've always really liked David Price...felt terrible for him that he has had so many less than stellar starts in the post season. I really hate it when someone fools me into thinking they are something they clearly aren't. A decent person

http://deadspin.com/heres-why-david-price-blew-up-at-dennis-eckersley-1797187651

If Price produced on the field, he wouldn't have to run his mouth. If you have a contract for $31 mil. a year for five more years after this one, start living up to it. I understand that perhaps he's frustrated at being out for the first couple months of this season, but that kind of money should calm his frustration and definitely calm his mouth.

Edited by paul secor

4 hours ago, paul secor said:

3seed_medium.gif

https://www.lonestarball.com/2017/7/26/16048594/adrian-beltre-ejected-gerry-davis

Tonight, in the eighth inning of a Marlins 20+ run blowout in progress against the Rangers, with Adrian Beltre chasing 3,000 hits, umpire Gerry Davis ejected Beltre for...well, waiting for his turn to hit.

Beltre stands a bit far from the traditional on-deck circle as has been noted many times through the years and it has never been an issue. For some reason, in a 22-8 game, it became an issue for Davis as Beltre was due to hit next working on a 3-for-3 game.

The three hits gave Beltre 2,996 for his career as he tries to collect his historic 3,000th hit before the end of this homestand.

Since David decided enforcing a rule no one enforces was more important than Adrian Beltre getting a crack at hit No. 2997, Beltre pulled a classic Beltre jape and pulled the on-deck circle graphic closer to where he was standing rather than moving.

In fear of appearing impotent in front of his peers and the fans that came out to see him, Davis ejected Beltre from the game instead of laughing along with him.

You know, this is just what this sport that many call boring needs. More ump shows, less personality and fun and living legends!

They showed a clip of this during the Yankee game last night, and the announcers (one was Paul O'Neill, a former player) commented that it's common for on deck batters to be out of the on deck circle, and O'Neill told the story that, during his playing days, when VIPs were in the lower stands at Yankee Stadium, the grounds crew would move the circle before the game so as not to obstruct their view. So there's evidently no set place for the on deck circle to be set up. It's sad when an umpire's ego takes over the game. People don't pay to watch the umps, even if they do have an important job.