2017 MLB Facts, Lies, Propaganda, Opinions, & Pictures

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary Sanchez is Mr. August. ^_^

Gary Sanchez in August

And that article was posted before last night's game, in which Sanchez went 2-5 with another homer and three RBIs.  Too much to hope that Aaron Judge is finally snapping out of his post-All Star Game slump as well?  I don't think NY will catch Boston, but I'm starting to feel better about at least landing the wild-card spot.  (And if NY finds itself in a WC one-off, please please please start Luis Severino!)

I think Seattle just tied the modern record for errors by an MLB team in a single inning--five against the Yankees in the bottom of the first inning. (Overall record appears to be six, set in 1902.)

EDIT: Evidently the "modern era" is defined as from 1901 on, so I guess they didn't tie the record. Definitely the most team errors committed in a single inning of any game I've ever watched, though, at any level of play! Paul O'Neill said "it's beginning to look like the Bad News Bears out there." ☺️

Edited by ghost of miles

13 hours ago, Patrick said:

Trevor Bauer on a roll. Ryan Merritt getting it done. Previously thought no chance to reel in Stros, bout who knows now. 

Yeah but the Sox are half a game behind and own the tie-breaker.  If the Astros keep fading its anyone's race for top seed.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 7:59 AM, Dan Gould said:

Yeah but the Sox are half a game behind and own the tie-breaker.  If the Astros keep fading its anyone's race for top seed.

I'm not looking past the Sox. Just believed they were never out of reach for the Tribe. Stros, on the other hand, were, but have come back to the pack quite a bit. Not sure what to think of the Verlander move. Useful, but not sure it's that big an addition.

One big reason the Yankees remain a much better bet to be a WC team rather than catching the Red Sox:  after Betances' giving up a two-out walk-off HR in last night's game against the Orioles, New York now has 23 blown saves, which puts them third in the majors in that dubious category.  A crazy stat for a bullpen that includes Chapman and David Robertson as well (at least Chapman's showing signs of regaining his form).