2017 MLB Facts, Lies, Propaganda, Opinions, & Pictures

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

You're fast. I just saw it and was going to post. I guess I shouldn't have watched the replay before I posted. :D

:D ....   especially how humble this young man deals with all this season`s considerable ups and downs remains my personal feelgood story .... 

Edited by soulpope

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, paul secor said:

Major league record is 26 - 1916 NY Giants - and they finished the season with a record of only 86 - 66! There must be a story there, but I don't know what it is.

Some contention too that this isn't the true "winning streak" record, as one of the Giants' games ended in a tie. (And what's the story there?) The record for the longest winning streak that doesn't include a tie belongs to the 1935 Chicago Cubs, who won 21 in a row before finally losing. After tonight's victory, Cleveland's only two away from equaling that. 

Regarding the Dodgers' collapse, I take solace only in the evaporation of comparisons to the 1998 Yankees that had begun to emerge just before said collapse began. :)

Edited by ghost of miles

It really is amazing. It's not just a prolific offense, or great starting pitching, or great bullpen. It is basically all of the above. And there are not a lot of household names in that lineup, especially in the outfield [anyone got any of these guys on their all-star squad?: Jay Bruce, Lonnie Chisenhall, Bradley Zimmer, Austin Jackson, Brandon Guyer, Abraham Almonte, Tyler Naquin, Greg Allen, injured Michael Brantley]. Here's hoping that Jose Ramirez forearm bruise is not a big deal, and that centerfield does not become a problem given Zimmer's hand surgery -- Jason Kipnis is going to get some time out there! I think Austin Jackson is serviceable. Carlos Carrasco took care of business last night. Kluber up next. Go Tribe!

Edited by Patrick

16 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Some contention too that this isn't the true "winning streak" record, as one of the Giants' games ended in a tie. (And what's the story there?)

Ghost, back in those days, the Giants started their games at 4:00 pm to appeal to the Wall Street guys who got off work at 3:00.  There were no radio broadcasts of the games back then, so games were finished in under two hours (no commercial breaks).  There were no ballpark lights back then, so the games ended in a tie at sunset.

Edited by GA Russell

... annnndddd just another routine Indians win. ? Wow! That really did have a postseason vibe to it... Congratulations to the Tribe fans here. It would be fantastic to see Cleveland go all the way this year after the Cubs did it last year.

Here's Lindor's two-out, two-strike double that tied it in the bottom of the 9th:

Tribe ties it

... and Bruce's walk off hit in the bottom of the 10th: 

Cleveland wins 22nd in a row

Oh, and as Michael Kay pointed out tonight, if Aaron Judge batted only against the Baltimore Orioles all year long, he'd have the greatest offensive season in MLB history. ☺️

Edited by ghost of miles