2017 MLB Facts, Lies, Propaganda, Opinions, & Pictures

From the NY Times account of last night's game:

Judge finished 3 for 4 with three runs scored and six R.B.I., a new career high. It extended Judge’s dominance of the Orioles this season — his 11 home runs against them are the most by any player against any opponent in 2017. In 16 games against Baltimore, Judge has hit .472 with 27 runs scored and 24 R.B.I.

Buck Showalter might be better off just issuing Judge an IBB every time up.  Judge also became the first Yankee to pick up 110+ runs and 110+ walks in a single season since Mickey Mantle in 1961.  (Of course, he strikes out as much if not more than the Mick did too.)  Catching McGwire's rookie HR record a long-shot at this point, but I suppose he could still do it with a hot streak here at the end... 16 games left.   

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A remarkable run by Cleveland and maybe they just resume things but the much more realistic outcome is a bit of a return to earth, and they don't have much of a bulge over the Astros to secure home-field thru the playoffs. How ironic would it be if there is no actual change in the playoff match ups after all is said and done? (Except for the fact that the Red Sox had a shot at second seed before, now not so much.)

12 hours ago, Milestones said:

I like the Indians in this series--for that matter, in any series.

What happened to Pujols?  He had a a 10-year run of hitting over .300 (sometimes way over), but he's nothing like that the last several seasons.  He has a .242 average this year and pretty low in home runs too--by his standards, at least.

Standard decline for an aging, presumably non-juicing player?  Here are his lifetime stats by age and season:

Albert Pujols career stats

I don't have any statistical insight into how his switch from St. Louis to the Angels might have made any difference, though presumably being able to frequently DH as an American League player has enhanced his ability to mitigate defensive decline, not having to deal with the wear and tear of everyday defensive play. 

I think in general it's a very bad idea (and this sure ain't rocket science) to give a lengthy and massive contract to a 32-year-old player, a la Pujols and Arod.  As good a player as Robinson Cano is, I completely understood the Yankees' not wanting to offer him more than seven years for a contract that would have begun when he was 31.  Cano has done well at Seattle, but Starlin Castro's been pretty effective these past two seasons, while taking much less of a toll on the Yankees' payroll.  

Let's see if they get past the Yankees in the first round (I'm going to assume they'll beat Minnesota that hasn't seemed interested in doing anything this year and are just enjoying the improvement from the last few seasons).

Did I hear correctly that the Red Sox might try using David Price as an Andrew Miller weapon out of the pen in October? Interesting idea but the problem is that Price has never had wipe-out stuff like Miller does. He could be a weapon, no doubt, but he's also much more likely to groove a gopher pitch than Miller is (if Miller is fully healthy).

I'll go on the record as saying I have no trouble with an Indians championship, should the Sox and Cubs be eliminated. Tito is a class act, was treated appallingly on the way out of Boston, and deserves another ring.