2017 MLB Facts, Lies, Propaganda, Opinions, & Pictures

I'm sure that I'm in a minority these days, but I'll go along with this quote from Vin Scully - a man who has seen many more baseball games than I:

"Statistics are used by baseball fans in much the same way that a drunk leans against a street lamp; it's there more for support than enlightenment."

He might well have included baseball people in general along with fans.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, paul secor said:

I'm sure that I'm in a minority these days, but I'll go along with this quote from Vin Scully - a man who has seen many more baseball games than I:

"Statistics are used by baseball fans in much the same way that a drunk leans against a street lamp; it's there more for support than enlightenment."

He might well have included baseball people in general along with fans.

:D ....

Baseball is a game and should be fun to play and to watch, so I thought I'd throw in a funny quote:

"I broke in with four hits and the writers  promptly decided that they had seen the new Ty Cobb. It took me only a few days to correct that impression." - Casey Stengel

I'm sure that's happened more than a few times over the years.

Hilarious dugout antics from the Yankees tonight, accosting home-run-hitting teammates with "YES2" mock press conferences as they return from rounding the bases:

Starlin Castro HR

Greg Bird home run

Aaron Hicks home run

A fun young team to watch for sure.  Hoping Severino's as strong against the Twins next Tuesday as he was tonight against the Rays.

Edited by ghost of miles

This Cub fan certainly enjoyed the last two nights, celebrating on Cards turf, then eliminating them from playoff contention.

I always hear how "nice" Cards fans are but my experience of many of them (and I'll cop to the fact that this is online interaction, and mostly away from this site) is that their attitude towards Chicago is exactly the same as Yankee fans attitudes toward Boston, pre-2004: Losers. How dare you mention them in the same breath as our team?

So a little attitude adjustment, or just plain payback, is a good thing.

Meantime my other team looks pathetic and would be the weakest playoff team in the AL if not for the Twins.   I am expecting the same ignominious dismissal this year as last year, unless the whole damn team starts performing again next week.