2017 MLB Facts, Lies, Propaganda, Opinions, & Pictures

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, catesta said:

Unbefuckinglievable!  It was one hell of a series.

I hope the Yankees can make it that interesting against Astros.

Yankees have a blueprint for upsetting Astros, it's just hard to follow

Hard indeed.  Having to potentially face Keuchel (who just about owns them--really no "just about" to it, actually) and Verlander twice is difficult enough, but it's Houston's offense that really concerns me. 

Edited by ghost of miles

Congrats to the Yankees getting by the Tribe. What would one predict if Judge, Lindor, and JRamirez gave you close to nothing?[Yes, Lindor had the epic blast, but anything else? at all? ...besides the great smile, and Judge made a key catch]. Sabathia pitched well, and the Indians starters--well there was game 1 Bauer and Carrasco. Still, Tribe season was fun as hell, esp after Francona's wake up team mtg around all star break.

Had been pulling for the Nats in the NL--painful to see Scherzer pitch so poorly. Quite naturally, I'm a bit skeptical of "short rest" these days. I guess I'm pulling for Houston (not raised the trophy, had some weather) getting past the Cubs.

For Cleveland fans--hoops starts this week, LeBron and the geezer crew hosting Kyrie and the Celts.

Geography matters. Facts matter. Rivers matter.

113619013.jpg

But on the non-canonical side of things, some people were kinda wondering why Houston would pay money for Verlander at this point in his career, and I was, like, seriously? He's Tom Fucking Verlander and you're in a pennant race. Why the hell would you NOT spend that money, right? You got this game out of him, worth that money right now, ok?

Trinity would be a better choice, if you want to pick a river that's kind like, around, but not close. It would come across far less provincial.

trinity.jpg

Oh well, maybe when they get back to the Bronx, you boys will hit home runs into Lake Ontario!

Well, geez louise, you started off your post by saying "Not that it matters..."  And you were right!  Unless it was just a rhetorical device, kinda like making a joke about Yankees hitters swinging at pitches positioned well outside the strike zone.  A sense of humor matters.  A weird, nitpicking, chip-on-the-shoulder response matters too, I suppose, as does condescension and stereotyping (often used in the cause of critiquing same!).  The Rio Grande is the major river that most people associate with the state of Texas, which is a huge-ass state, hence that poster's choice.  There was nothing condescending or denigrating there about the state itself or the Astros or anything else; it was a mocking observation of how badly the Yankee batters were getting fooled. (Gee-zus.) I'm sure there are plenty of folk who could tell me all kinds of interesting and true things about Texas geography and who also voted for the current resident of the Oval Office.  Yeah, facts matter. Important facts matter even more.  Soapbox corrections matter mostly in the classroom, and last time I checked, this was not yet a geography forum.  But who knows, maybe we're headed there!  And if we are, who better than the state of Texas, which holds so much sway over the nation's textbook content, to lead us?  (Article from the Houston Press!)

On the topic of Verlander, dude's still a monster at age 34, and one reason why I think Houston has a good shot at taking out the Dodgers.  Any team facing the Astros has to go up against him AND Keuchel potentially twice in a seven-game series.  Reminiscent of Arizona's Randy Johnson-Curt Schilling combo, but with a much better offense behind them.  The Yankees couldn't ask for much more out of their starters; Tanaka threw a great game yesterday, Severino was doing well until the injury took him out, and the bullpen came through until the very end.  That's a tough, tough lineup to get through several times a game.  (Saw a graph the other day that ranked them in the top five offensive teams of all time.) 

Edited by ghost of miles

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Well, geez louise, you started off your post by saying "Not that it matters..."  And you were right!  Unless it was just a rhetorical device, kinda like making a joke about Yankees hitters swinging at pitches positioned well outside the strike zone.  A sense of humor matters.  A weird, nitpicking, chip-on-the-shoulder response matters too, I suppose, as does condescension and stereotyping (often used in the cause of critiquing same!).  The Rio Grande is the major river that most people associate with the state of Texas, which is a huge-ass state, hence that poster's choice.  There was nothing condescending or denigrating there about the state itself or the Astros or anything else; it was a mocking observation of how badly the Yankee batters were getting fooled. (Gee-zus.) I'm sure there are plenty of folk who could tell me all kinds of interesting and true things about Texas geography and who also voted for the current resident of the Oval Office.  Yeah, facts matter. Important facts matter even more.  Soapbox corrections matter mostly in the classroom, and last time I checked, this was not yet a geography forum.  But who knows, maybe we're headed there!  And if we are, who better than the state of Texas, which holds so much sway over the nation's textbook content, to lead us?  (Article from the Houston Press!)

Sense of humor noted! :g

2 hours ago, Soulstation1 said:

Yanks only interested if they are down 0-2 

Cubs might come back on the Dodgers 

Yanks also have to beat Keuchel and/or Verlander if they're to have any hope of making a bid for the ALCS title.  And if they lose tonight, they'd have to beat BOTH Keuchel and Verlander and win two games at Houston. 

Have we figured out yet who Tom Verlander is? That name came to mind waaaaay too easily. Am I thinking of Tom Verlaine, like, you know Justin Verlander is always on television, so make that connection to get that? Didn't Freud write something about that, getting names wrong?