Nature Boy - E minor, D minor, Eb minor

In my head I hear it in E minor.

But I think I might play it in Eb-minor even easier. It´s strange. I´m a piano player and should not have too much problems with keys like E natural, D natural, A natural and so on, but I think since I don´t play anything else but jazz, those keys are quite strange to me, since they are unusual keys for horn players and I think much more like a horn player.

It´s only if I feel that a certain tune is supposed to be heard in a certain key.

Maybe if I hadn´t perfect pitch I might be more flexible. But that way, the way how I hear it, I got it in my head and it sticks.

E minor is great for tenor (our F# minor), it gives you that open C# (and the options for palm keys that entails) and the uber malleable A (regular and altissimo. It's also a key that works well with more..."rock"-oriented guitarists, if you got that on hand.

17 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I hear you, but d minor is related to F major, hardly a strange key to jazz.

Now that you say it, I agree to you. That´s it.

I can play easily in d-minor but got headaches if I´d try in D major. Never new why, but now I can understand it.

But I hate keys like B natural major. One time I  h a  d  to play it, cause the guest artist a saxophonist told us "I´m tired playin the usual keys, let´s start with "Moose the Mooche" in B major.
My luck was I heard so many Bird records where the speed is up so some tunes in B-flat sound like B, that´s how I managed to get thru, just having in my mind those that are too sharp because of incorrect speed.

Miles´ Nature-Boy in G yeah I think that was the first version I ever heard, when I was a kid. Then I couldn´t do much with that tune, it was the abstract arrangement. Strange record anyway, that´s Mingus who somehow sounded more "western abstract/cool" in 1954/55. Complete different to the "angry Mingus" that we love so much, the Mingus with Dolphy/Byard or later with George Adams/Don Pullen.

Got another version of Nature Boy by Jackie Mc Lean which I got from my wife , got to listen to it again, if I remember right, that was in f-minor, strange I don´t remember.

A Minor!

Here's an Eb Minor, trumpet not having the same exploitation mechanics as tenor, but Ran Blake makes all keys work, like, at all times.

Indeed, Jackie in F Minor, as noted. That puts the alto in D Minor, which is a good key for any saxophone.

• 1 month later...