50 Cover Versions of "Stardust" That Are Better Than Bob Dylan's

But just as Mount Everest continues to tempt expert climbers, “Stardust” has a combination of otherworldly beauty and technical challenge that has made it incredibly alluring to generation after generation of musicians and vocalists. While we don’t have the time or space to rank the over 1,500 renditions of “Stardust” that have been recorded, here’s a list of fifty that climb to significantly higher elevations than Dylan’s version — and, just so we don’t completely pile on the poor guy, we’ve picked out another three that barely make it out of base camp.

Read more: http://forward.com/culture/365856/50-cover-versions-of-stardust-that-are-better-than-bob-dylans-and-three-tha/

I wrote a piece for the Detroit Free Press about "Stardust"(nee "Star Dust") in 2002, when the song turned 75. Doug Ramsey reprinted it a few years back on his blog with permission. I included a list of 10 notable or curious versions at the end.

http://www.artsjournal.com/rifftides/2011/12/correspondence-on-hoagy.html

I'm eager to hear the (already maligned!) Dylan version, my copy of "Triplicate" is on a truck bound to me later today.

I confess that Nat King Cole's version on Capitol really moves me. . . especially when he sings "But that was long ago. . . " That phrase the way he phrases it evokes memories in me that are both tender and sad. Which is a good way for Stardust to be experienced.

If you're gonna listen to Dylan for "music", you might as well read Shakespeare for the pictures.

The guy is a great concept, sometimes brilliantly executed. But always a concept first.

I also think he's a comedic, if not genius, then pretty close to it. That's not an insult either, not even, especially sine that's not what he set out to be. It's like he gradually but inevitably realized that that was what he was best at, and what he could do as a life's work, so he embraced that and never looked back. I mean, sure, he's got his serious side, but so did Red Skelton. What does that prove?

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Haters gonna hate I guess. Personally I like most of the Xmas album and have liked the two "standards" discs released prior to today's. I know neither is a "popular" opinion.

Your secret identity as Bob Dylan's mother has been revealed.

On 3/31/2017 at 11:03 AM, mjzee said:

But just as Mount Everest continues to tempt expert climbers, “Stardust” has a combination of otherworldly beauty and technical challenge that has made it incredibly alluring to generation after generation of musicians and vocalists. While we don’t have the time or space to rank the over 1,500 renditions of “Stardust” that have been recorded, here’s a list of fifty that climb to significantly higher elevations than Dylan’s version — and, just so we don’t completely pile on the poor guy, we’ve picked out another three that barely make it out of base camp.

Read more: http://forward.com/culture/365856/50-cover-versions-of-stardust-that-are-better-than-bob-dylans-and-three-tha/

That was fun!