Bobby Hutcherson - Columbia Albums

Eric

My friend has "Conception: Give of Love" on vinyl, I heard some on YT, it's pretty good.  I'd agree with Hutchfan, no where near his best.  My personal yard sticks for his best are "Components", "Happenings", "Live at Montreux".  Curiously, weren't these the only Columbia's recorded at RVG's?  He did very little major label work if any in the 70's IIRC.

I discovered Highway One on vinyl a few years ago.  I enjoyed it and it struck me as being in a similar vein as his later BN records.  Pretty sure Un Poco Loco was out on CD at one point.  It has John Abercrombie on guitar IIRC.

2 hours ago, Eric said:

I discovered Highway One on vinyl a few years ago.  I enjoyed it and it struck me as being in a similar vein as his later BN records.  Pretty sure Un Poco Loco was out on CD at one point.  It has John Abercrombie on guitar IIRC.

You're right, Eric. Koch reissued Un Poco Loco

Truthfully, no, none are great. But also truthfully, some are better "records" than the last-est BNs. They're better produced, better played, and pay more attention to "presentability" than some of those things did. They were in the marketplace and everybody involved knew it. Again, none of them suck.

8 hours ago, JSngry said:

Truthfully, no, none are great. But also truthfully, some are better "records" than the last-est BNs. They're better produced, better played, and pay more attention to "presentability" than some of those things did. They were in the marketplace and everybody involved knew it. Again, none of them suck.

Columbia was trying to sell records, signed a bunch of topflight jazz guys around that time (Woody Shaw, Dexter Gordon, Freddie Hubbard etc.).  Variable results but few disasters..  These, being on BGO, will have spectacular mastering.  BGO tends to do related bunches of reissues on a given month, so will be interesting to see what else may be coming our way.

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

Totally agree that none of them suck.  

But I definitely prefer Hutch's "less straight-ahead" records on Blue Note to those he made for Columbia.  I'm thinking of records like San FranciscoMontara or even Linger Lane. (I'm not thinking of Natural Illusions, which I consider to be Bobby's one-and-only dud. And I blame Wade Marcus for that one.)

Even Un Poco Loco, which seems to have much potential on paper, just doesn't quite ignite like you HOPE it would. Is it the Dale Oehler arrangements?  It could be, but I'm not sure. It just seems like something's getting in the way of Bobby being Bobby.

All that said, I'm glad to have Hutcherson's Columbia records.  ...I should pull 'em out and give 'em a spin to see if what I hear matches what I remember of them. It's been years since I last heard them.

EDIT: 
Just now put Conception: The Gift of Love on my 'table.  First impression: "Damn," I say to myself. "This sounds better than I remember!" ;) 

Edited by HutchFan

• 1 month later...

DeepDiscount.com currently lists this item for $12.38 (with an additional 10% off all items with the promo code "bikinibeach") .  It is a "backordered" item, but I have had pretty good luck with them eventually shipping such items, so long as they are of pretty recent vintage.