Favorite non-Ellington dates by Ellingtonians

ghost of miles

This opens up a huge number of recordings. It includes all the possible sessions by Strayhorn, Ben Webster, Clark Terry, Ray Nance, Paul Gonsalves, Harold Ashby, Johnny Hodges, Shorty Baker, Cootie Williams, Cat Anderson, Harry Carney, Lawrence Brown, Jimmy Hamilton, Tyree Glenn, Oscar Pettiford, Rex Stewart, Barney Bigard, Booty Wood, Julian Priester,Britt Woodman, Gerald Wilson, Rolf Ericson, Ake Persson, Johnny Coles, Benny Bailey,Bennie Green, Buster Cooper, and many others.

This is a task that would require a lot of time to consider what would be my favorites.

Yeah, Gonsalves has a number of dates I really like.

Gettin' Together on Jazzland is strong, and Boom-Jackie-Boom-Chick on Vocalion is a scorcher. There's also a date he did with Tubby Hayes on Columbia UK, and Gonsalves-Ashby had a small UK group session with Ellingtonians that I've yet to hear ("Tenor Stuff," a Landsdowne LP).

Ray Nance appeared on Ahmed Abdul-Malik's "Spellbound," an excellent date released by Status in the mid-60s (though I think it was recorded earlier).