50th Anniversary Release of “Sgt. Pepper” Will Include Unreleased Album “Liverpool Stories”

mjzee

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up with the stereo albums/LPs (Capitol) too (except for The Beatles Second Album which for some reason was for sale in the Gibson's as mono for $3.98 + tax, and all I had was a five dollar bill, so...), which is why I bought the mono box. Glad I did, truthfully. The impact is different, and on the later qalbums, there's things in one mix that aren't in the other, little details, nothing profound. But if you're as imprinted on that shit as I am, it makes for somw real WTF!?!?!?! moments or two.

On 5/27/2017 at 2:23 PM, JSngry said:

I grew up with the stereo albums/LPs (Capitol) too (except for The Beatles Second Album which for some reason was for sale in the Gibson's as mono for $3.98 + tax, and all I had was a five dollar bill, so...), which is why I bought the mono box. Glad I did, truthfully. The impact is different, and on the later qalbums, there's things in one mix that aren't in the other, little details, nothing profound. But if you're as imprinted on that shit as I am, it makes for somw real WTF!?!?!?! moments or two.

I have both boxes plus the two 4-CD releases of the U.S. albums, which I bought when they came out earlier.  Feels very redundant on some levels, but I haven't seen fit to move any of them out.

Yeah, the only one that did not have a real "compulsion of relevance" to me was the Stereo Box, because as an American Of A Certain Age, the UK LPs didn't come into my consciousness until the middle 1970s, when we got a Peaches here. Then I glommed onto Revolver & Pepper, which was enough for a good long while. I was long since past the initial crush and wanted to hear those for esthetic, not sentimental, reasons. Should probably have gotten Rubber Soul too, but, you know...there's these Gong records I'd like to hear alos, right? Can't buy it all! Have since bought the earlier UK LPs on their now-standard CD issue, but the Stereo Box still does not seem compulsory for me. Too much other stuff out there, and I only revisit the world of Beatlemusic every few years now. I think it's been five since the last time.

Besides, after Purple Chick...

This is a very specific chrono-geo decision, so I'm not advocating one way or the other. And probably someday some raggedyass copy of the Stereo box will turn up for 20 bucks or less somewhere and I'll be like, aw, fuck it.  But right now, I'm good.

On 5/27/2017 at 0:30 PM, AllenLowe said:

no but I just bought the complete Beatles in mono, box - for $20. Included shipping.

If you're talking about the CD version of this box, I assume that are aware that the market was literally flooded with cheap Chinese knock-off box sets back when this supposed "limited edition" box was first issued and listed for $350. I paid around $250 at the time, as I assumed it was going to be impossible to find once it sold out. The bootleggers must have though that too. There are probably 100's of thousands of these Chinese knock-offs. There was a time when almost every eBay listing was a knock-off. There used to be a web page that helped identify them, but I have no idea if it's still active.

1 hour ago, Scott Dolan said:

$350?! 

You can still buy new sets for $140 on Amazon. When were they priced that high? 

I am fairly positive that the original list price was $350. As I said, I pre-ordered from Bull Moose Music at $250 and was psyched i got it at all. The first run sold out in hours and since it was originally announced as a limited edition, many people freaked out and eBay started going crazy. I came very close to selling mine when they regularly started selling for $500. Then the Chinese knock-offs flooded the market. Then Capitol mysteriously erased all mentions of the limited availability from all of the press releases about it and set about pressing hundreds of thousand of more boxes.

BTW, I am pretty sure the first Chinese knock-offs had some spelling errors on a few of the CD sleeves.

Perhaps they underestimated how popular it would be? Still kind of crappy they sold it at that price. I know when I got my stereo box, the complete studio mono box was something like $10 more at the time. Which I also thought was kind of crappy. 

I guess the FLAC USB was the only thing that remained a limited edition.

Edited by Scott Dolan

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

I'm getting Beatles'd out.  SiriusXM recently began a Beatles-only channel that my family loves.  How often can you listen to the same songs?  It's beginning to feel like genuflection.

Now, see, we had an all-Beatles FM station here that lasted less than a year. But there was a catch - it was all Beatles, but not JUST Beatles Records. If it was a Beatles record, they played it. If it was by an ex-Beatle, they played it. If it was a cover of a Beatles song- by ANYBODY - they played it. If it was a cover of an ex-Beatle's song, they played that too. If it was a Beatles bootlegs, they played it. I kinda dialed in for grins at first, but the longer it went on, and I realized that at any point in a 24/7/365 airplay world, you could quite easily hear any beatles-connected song played by anybody in the world who had ever recorded one, then it got to be listening for fun at least as much as nostalgia. Because they had no DJs, but the also had not set lists, no rotations...it was car radio nirvana is what it was.

http://www.salon.com/1997/02/26/media_138/

I have a case of Maxells here somewhere, just a whole case of random airshots off that station. No plan in rcording them, no plan in ever listening to them.

my Mono Box is definitely a knock off, bad artwork and all; but sonically it is identical.  Just ordered the stereo, of which I am one of the few who prefers (I don't think that's grammatical). More headroom, and details missing in Mono.

Edited by AllenLowe

On 27 May 2017 at 4:03 PM, Scott Dolan said:

So has anyone purchased this yet? If so, how does the new mix sound compared to the 2009 version? 

I've listened to the new mix on Spotify and it's very good indeed. Much clearer separation of the instruments / voices , having said that I'm not sure I'll bother with a physical copy. Quite happy with the mono box, first CD issue and an original Parlophone mono LP??

On 5/29/2017 at 10:23 PM, mjzee said:

I'm getting Beatles'd out.  SiriusXM recently began a Beatles-only channel that my family loves.  How often can you listen to the same songs?  It's beginning to feel like genuflection.

I could certainly live just fine without ever hearing "Hey Jude" again.  And I liked it when it  first came out, but enoughs is too much.

That all-Beatlemusic FM station signed off with a 20+ minute version of "Hey Jude" that looped the ending over and over and over and etc. This was at, like 2 AM on a Saturday night or some such, and I've talked to a few people who were also listening, and they were hoping/praying that it was a cruel joke, that the station was going to resume thier regular programmiong after all (they gave a couple of weeks lead tim, advertised that this was the end, all that). But no. More like Tough Love, we'll make you GLAD we're stopping, and it worked for a day or two. When the dead air followed, it was like, yeah, you killed  it alright.But god, that was a neat thing to be able to turn on at random intervals, especially in the car with the kids, we all live in a can of pork and beans!

I can't join in with the Hey Jude hate. Have always loved it, still love it, will always love it. The Beatles kept me sane at 10 years old when my parents divorced and I was unceremoniously ripped away from my home town. So they have a very extra special place in my ears and in my heart. 

My son's very first concert (well, aside from seeing Ornette in Chicago, which he was too young to remember) was Paul McCartney just last year. I think he was singing louder than Paul was...

Edited by Scott Dolan

I do like song "Hey Jude" but not a big fan of the "Nah nah nah nah naaaah, Hey Jude" run out. Like fingernails on chalkboard sometimes. The worst version out there is the one someone posted of Linda McCartney's isolated mic when Paul McCartney played it during one of his early 90's tours. Shudder...