50th Anniversary Release of “Sgt. Pepper” Will Include Unreleased Album “Liverpool Stories”

mjzee

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! 

Just listened to the opening track, and when I got to the end I simply had to stop it and say "wow" three or four times! 

I'm downloading the album for immediate consumption, because I can't wait until Christmas when I get the actual box set.

This mix is...well, what it should have been in the first place. Lead guitars are on the left and right channels, instead of the center and right. Pauls vocals are FRONT* and center, instead of on the far right. The chorus is now split between the left and right channels, instead of all being jumbled into the left channel. 

I'd highly encourage all of you, whether you're a fan of the album or not, to at least check out the title track. It is simply amazing.

*And by FRONT, I mean FRONT. Though not my favorite song, by any stretch, this was always my favorite McCartney performance, because he's really singing his fucking ass off! Listening to this new mix gives it that much more kick. Makes the old version almost sound muffled in comparison. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

And so the hook with this new one is that the stereo is mixed with both modernity and the mono mix (as representing Beatles' input) in mind. It's pretty successful in my opinion. But no one  who has lived with the album for decades. . . needs it.

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

And so the hook with this new one is that the stereo is mixed with both modernity and the mono mix (as representing Beatles' input) in mind. It's pretty successful in my opinion. But no one  who has lived with the album for decades. . . needs it.

I actually agree with all of that. 

Necessary? Not really. 

A highly successful stereo mix that expands on the original mono mix? You'd better fucking believe it! 

I received the Super Deluxe Edition for Father's Day. It lives up to the billing, and then some, IMO. The new mix is even a little cleaner than the 2009 remaster, which I would have never thought possible.