Murdoch Mysteries - Who's A Fan Here?

Well, hell, it's a TV mystery series. That's what's supposed to happen! And always does! :excl:

I find the very droll delivery and the almost deadpan camera work that accompanies it very entertaining/amusing/etc. Maybe it's another one of those things that isn't supposed to be "funny", but Brenda and I both "get it", and when it comes to what makes us laugh, that doesn't happen all that much.

And George Crabtree is one of the better comic foils I've seen on television in quite a while.

Another thing I love is the colors. I'm used to seeing Victorian-type stuff either in black and white or else faded. They got that shit popping, and it treats my eyes well, as do many of the women they have in supporting roles, apparently all Canadian. Nicely done, Canadiennes!

Also find the notion of a smart guy finding himself surrounded by all the scientific/mechanical inventions of the times to be of sustaining interest.

Your friends have done good work, imo/fwiw. We're watching, like 2-3 episodes a day, mini-binging on them. Almost through Season 4 and keep finding little things that keep it fresh.

It really looks good in HD, too. No idea how "authentic" any of it really is, but I keep getting beguiled by the details of the colors and shapes of everything. The men's ties and the women's hats, the wallpapers, the house paints...amazing, shade of blue, purple, and yellow I had thought were extinct!!!!

16 hours ago, JSngry said:

Your friends have done good work, imo/fwiw. We're watching, like 2-3 episodes a day, mini-binging on them. Almost through Season 4 and keep finding little things that keep it fresh.

It really looks good in HD, too. No idea how "authentic" any of it really is, but I keep getting beguiled by the details of the colors and shapes of everything. The men's ties and the women's hats, the wallpapers, the house paints...amazing, shade of blue, purple, and yellow I had thought were extinct!!!!

You love Murdoch?  You'll love this...

The Murdoch Mysteries are produced for the CBC, and distributed internationally.

The CBC does not allow commercials on children's programming, which means that there are gaps between the shows on the weekday mornings.  (15-minute blocks have 13-minute shows, for example.  To keep everything running on time, those gaps (interstitials, they're called) are filled with neat little linking themes and shows.  These days, the conceit is that young people have taken over the station, and do their own thing on 'Studio K'.  They can involve many of the CBC's personalities that way -- catching the national news anchor as he comes in the door -- that sort of thing. Of course, puppets are involved.  (If you're old enough, you'll recall Kukla, Fran and Ollie, or Howdy Doody, or The Friendly Giant and Mr. Rogers.  Later, of course, the Muppets!)

My daughter Caitlin and her husband Todd Doldersum are both puppeteers with wide experience, and these days Todd is doing a character on the Studio K interstitials, a brusque moose named Orlando, who is the TV station's security guard.  Security guard?  As if!  Orlando is really a detective!!!

Yeah, I remember when US TV (on air and cable) would "fill in the spaces" with all kinds of short subjects, anything from random PSA films from the library to independent "artistic" short subjects.

I do like Murdoch. It's a very good cast, imo,. I wonder sometimes if it's the time of life for me to start watching stuff like Murder she Wrote, or Matlock, but Murdoch seems a notch or two "sharper" that them. Maybe more in the leagues of Colombo or Rockford or McMillan & Wife, only with the twist of the whole turn-of-the-century thing thrown in to add that little twist.

I like it.  I've been watching it on terrestrial tv here so I'm probably well behind the times.  The last one I saw was Julia on trial - sadly I missed the final episode of that series.  The historical figures add to the fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Midway through Season 9 now (had to move from free Nextflix seasons to an Acorn $5/mo. Acorn subscription on Amazon to keep going), and all I can say is that A) Late 19th-early 20th Century Toronto  apparently had no shortage of healthy hearty and handsome women, an endless supply, if you were looking for a wife, that would have been the place to go, the fully-covering clothing not disguising some very attractive people; & B) George Crabtree remains one of the more brilliant sidekicks in television history, the thinking mans' Barney Fife, perhaps, or a laughing man's John Watson.

No matter, the series has stayed strong, the stories and the characters. potentially shark-jumping moments like kids and marriage all handled adrotilt with no changing of essence, just a good series done well, with dry humor and sly stories.

• 10 months later...

Currently enjoying Season 11(?) on Acorn TV via amazon Prime. New episodes every Monday!

Have to say, the show is staying fresh, quite a trick, imo, right up there with Perry Mason in terms of they're all the same, they're all different, they're all fun to watch.

Please, by all means, do! Tell her she's got two big fans in Texas, and that we appreciate everything about the show the dryness of the humor, the ongoing development of the characters, as well as the cleverness of the individual plots. For our money ($5.00/month!) it's a TOTAL winner!

And the scenery...my wife has always wanted to visit Canada, and this show just stokes the fever. I already have, and would gladly make a return visit.

• 9 months later...

Season 12 is on Acorn now. Canada sees it on Sunday night Acorn gets it the next day seems to be how it works. Still loving it - they've moved out of the hotel into a Frank Lloyd Wright house in which Murdoch has had installed a "potato cooking room" (some kind of prototype microwave-y thing) in which a man is promptly murdered.

• 3 years later...